Run big enough?

macpac32003

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
Richmond, VA
I am converting our 8x8 playhouse into a chicken coop and am in the process of building a run. I plan on having 6 chickens. Will an 8x12 run be big enough?

I think so...do you have a picture? That sounds like a great idea
clap.gif

But, bantams are smaller, so also more snugly.

My boys love bantams.

But wait, perhaps you want chickens for PRACTICAL reasons!
lau.gif
The bantams don't usually lay as well, that is true.

As a compromise, we have practical chickens and "super cute" snuggle chickens.

My point, simply because bantams tend to fly very well (netting or wire on the top of your runs is the best choice) does not mean that they don't love people.

Interesting point. I just don't want to be chasing chickens all over the neighborhood. We are very suburban and the ordinance has just passed...I will have wire on top of the run but want to be safe. I do want to have sunggly chickens though. :)

Good rule of thumb is 4 square feet in the coop and 10 square feet in the run per bird. You're well above that, and your chickens will probably thank you! Having more space usually means you have less behaviors from your hens, they're happier and get along better when they're not crowded right on top of each other all the time.

Orpingtons are a good choice for backyard flocks, they're calm and docile and get along with people well. I advise folks who are new to chickens to try a few different breeds when they start, to see what they like best. Some folks like a flock that is all the same, I prefer a varied flock. Plus, having different breeds makes it so much easier to tell the birds apart. Honestly, one barred Rock or buff Orpington looks pretty much like another....same for most breeds. Also why I pitch Easter eggers, they have enough variation in color you can usually tell them apart. Plus, who doesn't like blue or green eggs?

Back
Top Bottom