Run construction questions.

SouthernMNNewbie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 23, 2009
Mapleton
I have a couple of questions about run construction that I haven't come across exact answers for in this forum:

1. Is there any concern about toxic chemicals in treated lumber, or are the new preservatives safe? I'd like to use treated 4 x 4s and 2 x 4s, but I don't want the chickens pecking at it and ingesting unsafe chemicals.

2. Is a 3' strip of hardware fabric buried a foot deep good enough? What would or would not be able to get through or around that?

Thanks!

Most seem to think that modern treated lumber is perfectly safe. My entire run is built w/TL, and I've had absolutely no issues.
Well...your 1 ft buried/2 ft exposed sounds good to me, but most who bury go about two feet down. I didn't bury at all, and have not even finished my skirt all the way around. So maybe I shouldn't be advising at all...lol
tongue.png

I have had chickens in a hoop house with a PT base. They don't peck at it... only the ground. Besides that fact, I also think modern PT lumber is safe. I also use it as borders for raised vegetable beds and I am fairly sure I have suffered no ill effects
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom