Run fencing question.

I have found that you can surround a much larger area for less $$$, and a whole lot less work, with electrified poultry net. Digging in, and setting posts, buying yards of hardware cloth, to surround a small "run". I've read on this forum, where someone was looking to spend close to $2000, for a "run" a fraction of the size I've got. To he!! with that. To install, just step the spiked fence post in, hook up some power, either, household or solar, and be done with it. I've got fox, coons, wandering dogs, just about everything short of a bear around here, and I haven't lost a bird to a ground predator in 5yrs. Started out with 300', liked it, so I've bought 350' more of it. You want to move the coop, pull up the fence, move the coop, and set the fence back up, done.

200x200px-ZC-5d44c1b7_IMG_1995.jpeg

A lot is a matter of budget for most folks.
Mine is reclaimed chain link with bird netting and a hardware cloth apron. My run is huge and full hardware cloth is NOT in the budget.
I am in a suburb and have fox, coons and hawks as my main threats. I am also on clay.......very very hard clay.

Running hardware cloth under the whole run is costly AND puts the birds feet at risk. As the wire decays, and it will, it can get sharp bits sticking up. That can puncture the hens feet. Their nails can get caught on it as well. They do dig.......a lot! There are reasons they dig that we need to be mindful of. Looking for tasty bits and bugs but also dust bathing and keeping cool in dirt they dig up. Not so easy at all with wire right there.

That's my 2 pennies.

Mine is reclaimed chain link with bird netting and a hardware cloth apron. My run is huge and full hardware cloth is NOT in the budget.
I am in a suburb and have fox, coons and hawks as my main threats. I am also on clay.......very very hard clay.

Running hardware cloth under the whole run is costly AND puts the birds feet at risk. As the wire decays, and it will, it can get sharp bits sticking up. That can puncture the hens feet. Their nails can get caught on it as well. They do dig.......a lot! There are reasons they dig that we need to be mindful of. Looking for tasty bits and bugs but also dust bathing and keeping cool in dirt they dig up. Not so easy at all with wire right there.

That's my 2 pennies.

I think them two pennies is worth at least four bits .
thumbsup.gif
Costly is like the biggest thing . But if the ground is hard and you like mobile . TSC has the best 10 foot x 10 foot X 6 foot chain link dog kennels . They make good quick chicken space . I have made five foot end panels out of reclaimed chain link and make my runs twenty feet by five feet . One end is fastened to the coop and covered with reclaimed 4x2 welded wire or poultry wire. It is very rocky here so digging under is hard . I just lay rocks around the out side of it all . Chain link is a very good fence and while not easy to work sometimes is the easiest wire to lengthen or shorten . I drag home any I can get free including hardware. I'll take it down for it if its in good shape . Also above ground swimming pool walls make great cheap roofing and wall covering material for coops .

I have found that you can surround a much larger area for less $$$, and a whole lot less work, with electrified poultry net. Digging in, and setting posts, buying yards of hardware cloth, to surround a small "run". I've read on this forum, where someone was looking to spend close to $2000, for a "run" a fraction of the size I've got. To he!! with that. To install, just step the spiked fence post in, hook up some power, either, household or solar, and be done with it. I've got fox, coons, wandering dogs, just about everything short of a bear around here, and I haven't lost a bird to a ground predator in 5yrs. Started out with 300', liked it, so I've bought 350' more of it. You want to move the coop, pull up the fence, move the coop, and set the fence back up, done.

200x200px-ZC-5d44c1b7_IMG_1995.jpeg
Have your birds ever got zapped?

That's my 2 pennies.
Yes I agree. It certainly would not be on the interior ground of the run.

Back
Top Bottom