Runaway Rooster

Well it happened. Went out to check on everyone and my Cochin rooster was covered in blood. Big cut on his throat and cuts all over his face. Walked all the way to the neighbors and they weren't home. Going back this evening to tell them I'll be shooting their rooster and dropping him off on their front porch if they don't contain him. I've had enough now.

Honestly if he keeps attacking your brood, I'd shoot it.
I may be a little old fashioned, but when it comes to your flock I'd do whatever it takes to keep them safe.

Sounds like your neighbours don't really seem to care.
The alternative would be to call your local bylaw enforcement office and have them come out to catch th thing and take it away.

Honestly if he keeps attacking your brood, I'd shoot it.
I may be a little old fashioned, but when it comes to your flock I'd do whatever it takes to keep them safe.

Sounds like your neighbours don't really seem to care.
The alternative would be to call your local bylaw enforcement office and have them come out to catch th thing and take it away.

With how many chickens there are running around in Lancaster Pa I doubt anyone would come out to catch him. I'll give the neighbors a few days after I talk to them to see if they will do anything. If not he's getting shot.

Well it happened. Went out to check on everyone and my Cochin rooster was covered in blood. Big cut on his throat and cuts all over his face. Walked all the way to the neighbors and they weren't home. Going back this evening to tell them I'll be shooting their rooster and dropping him off on their front porch if they don't contain him. I've had enough now.
I wouldn't even tell them. SSS is a good rule to live by. You never know how they'll react if you shoot their 'beloved pet rooster". Seriously, people can be pretty unpredictable. I'd just dispatch that rooster immediately and bury him. Don't tell anyone.

Waiting a few days is asking for more harm to come to your rooster. It's only going to get worse. Unless you lock your chickens up until that roo is dealt with, the only other way to protect them is to get rid of that guy.

Last edited:
Well he is gone. Not sure if my boyfriend disposed of him or if the owners did something about it but I didn't see him yesterday or today!

Back
Top Bottom