*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
We have pet Muscovy ducks (two girls and a boy) that live with our laying hens. I am interested in getting a couple runner duck ladies to live with them. Can anyone tell me if the runner duck's eggs will be fertile after exposure to our male Muscovy? Both varieties of ducks have such nice personalities, it would be interesting to see what a cross would be like, just for fun. I know that Muscovies are able to breed with Pekin varieties, though sometimes this produces sterile offspring, sometimes not.
I know that some have those crosses, at least I recall reading about them, and as a duck mom to twelve smallish girls (9 runners, 3 buffs), I would not feel really relaxed about a big Muscovy drake on top of my little 3.5 pound ducks. That's my feeling. I think Muscovy ducks are amazing and wonderful, and I think carefully about size differences, too.

That's true, I've not had runners before, so I'm not sure how big a standard female generally is. Our Muscovy girls are VERY small compared to our male (he's easily 10 lbs and they are barely 5), but he is extremely gentle with them, and I've never seen him rape, though Muscovies do tend that way a lot.

Is there anyone raising runners that are especially large, or maybe such a thing as a "giant" runner variety?

Anyone have a thought or two about moving cross country with your Runners? We are in CO and need to evacuate for the winter due to the flooding here and headed to the East Coast to stay with family.

We are re-homing all our farm animals for the winter, but are thinking about taking our Runners with us since our daughter is allergic to chicken eggs and loves her ducks. We can pack them up into their duck house and make them comfy on the trip, but wondered if we were nuts to even consider it...okay, you have to know, most of our friends and family think we are crazy, but we love our animals. She's having a hard time leaving every animal (except the dog) behind.

Thoughts? Dumb idea? Would they travel well?

I think you can do it. Ducks can get car sick. And they need water constantly. I made a travel waterer based on Majestic Waterfowl's directions. Let me see if I can find that.

found it - http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue68.htm

I place mine inside a pyrex bowl that has a flat bottom and vertical sides. This keeps the no-spill container from flipping over. My runners are very good at flipping things over.

If you are willing to take a few breaks so they can eat and chill, that's good. My runners do okay with the one hour each way trip to the vet. I do not cover them up, just let them sightsee. I keep them in a dog crate in the back of my station wagon.

Also, I do not keep the car very warm when we travel, so they don't overheat. You don't have to freeze, but if anyone likes it warm, wrap the human up in a coat and hat and scarf and gloves rather than crank the heat up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom