*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

Pics
None of the females carry chocolate, but all the males do. Any of the black females or their mother could produce chocolate females and males. Males bred to blue females could produce silver males and females. You should have a colorful hatch. I'm jealous. I only have females and wantedor chocolates in the spring but will have to wai another generation.

None of the females carry chocolate, but all the males do. Any of the black females or their mother could produce chocolate females and males. Males bred to blue females could produce silver males and females. You should have a colorful hatch. I'm jealous. I only have females and wantedor chocolates in the spring but will have to wai another generation.

So how to know what my Fawn & Whites carry? :) I want colors!

Get Dave Holderread's book, Raising Ducks. It has an entire chapter on color genetics. I haven't looked into fawn & white as I don't intend to breed them to other colors. I'm sure you can change tje color; don't know how the runner pattern gene would be affected.

We only have 1 female left from her hatch and she's blue. My plan is to breed the black male back to their chocolate mom and see what happens. Right now I have a blue and a black male that carry chocolate. We also have another black male and another blue male without chocolate. As for girls we have 1 each of white, chocolate, blue and black. We should get some pretty cool colors from all of them I hope. I have very high hopes for our white girl. Of the 8 we have she's got the best body type. There's a pic of her a few posts back.

Last edited:
Just created a new thread with my babies in, but wanted to hop in here and say hello too! Just hatched my first runner babies and very excited over them :D

I have one female runner duck from an earlier hatch that is now 25 weeks old. She is not laying yet. Is this normal? I just hatched 4 runner ducks that are 9 weeks old....3 males and 1 female. They all hang out together. I know the books say that runner ducks can start laying eggs at 16 weeks. What am I missing here. I do have to say that the ducks and the chickens all coop together at night. I have walked around the lake looking for duck eggs, but have never found any. I know chickens can start laying as early as 16 weeks, too, but the majority of my chickens don't lay until after 26 weeks old. Is this the same with ducks? Just some take longer? Just wondering and waiting!

I have one female runner duck from an earlier hatch that is now 25 weeks old. She is not laying yet. Is this normal? I just hatched 4 runner ducks that are 9 weeks old....3 males and 1 female. They all hang out together. I know the books say that runner ducks can start laying eggs at 16 weeks. What am I missing here. I do have to say that the ducks and the chickens all coop together at night. I have walked around the lake looking for duck eggs, but have never found any. I know chickens can start laying as early as 16 weeks, too, but the majority of my chickens don't lay until after 26 weeks old. Is this the same with ducks? Just some take longer? Just wondering and waiting!
I have found that they lay when they lay, kinda like silkies. I have a couple at 20wks now but I don't really expect any eggs again until spring.

I've had bad luck with runners, which is especially saddening since they are my favorite breed. I have oodles of other breeds, and haven't lost any others save for a sickly mallard, but my first two runners that I raised from day-old (a white Twinkletoes and penciled Stretch) died randomly at a few months old, within a day of each other, no symptoms besides weakness that day. The other 10 or so they were with at the time were perfectly fine. After a few months, I found some more good quality ones and got a white girl and a black pair (Bordeaux, Merlot, and Chardonnay). I noticed Chardonnay (white) suddenly couldn't walk yesterday so I brought her in to keep an eye on her. I noticed this morning that she had a mild case of bumble foot and ran to the store and got supplies to treat it. Went this afternoon to treat her and found her dead. :hit The blacks at least seem perfectly fine, but then again, so did Char less than 2 days ago. No issues at all with the other 13, almost all different breeds.
Don't have pictures yet of Bordeaux and Merlot but this was Chardonnay.

All that being said, DH, although he is very against my buying more hatching eggs until spring at least, knows how much losing Char upset me and offered to buy me runner eggs if I could find any. (I've hatched out oodles of chicks, but have yet to try hatching ducklings!) The only I could find on eBay look iffy in quality. Anyone here have girls still laying and sell eggs, by chance? :}

We have pet Muscovy ducks (two girls and a boy) that live with our laying hens. I am interested in getting a couple runner duck ladies to live with them. Can anyone tell me if the runner duck's eggs will be fertile after exposure to our male Muscovy? Both varieties of ducks have such nice personalities, it would be interesting to see what a cross would be like, just for fun. I know that Muscovies are able to breed with Pekin varieties, though sometimes this produces sterile offspring, sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom