*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

I am looking for some advice on my runners. I have four females and one male. Until end of July I was getting 2-3 eggs a day, sometimes 4. Towards end of August they slowed though still getting 2 a day. Then in September they were all moulting - though some finished earlier than others. However I am now only getting one egg a day, sometimes not even that.
I feed them on layer pellets and wheat mixed. I upped the proportion of layer pellets but no change. They have plenty of grit, oyster shell and water.
Any ideas? I don't really understand how one can be laying I.e. Getting everything she needs, and the others not.

Edit - the ducks are between 18 months and 30 months
It could be that they are starting to slow/quit due to the days getting shorter. This will be my first winter with a laying runner but I do know that some ducks/chickens stop laying during winter months

I have nine runners, and they do not stay in sync with laying or molting. Generally, all of them are laying some from about May to August. Aside from that, they stop, start, and molt on their own individual schedules.

hey guys.
just wanting to know the basics of incubating runner duck eggs. im getting some shipped to me this week
celebrate.gif
I've incubated chicken eggs before but duck eggs are I bit different from what ive heard.
can you do the dry incubation method with duck eggs? and what temperatures and humidity do I have to have my bator at?

thanks for any help
big_smile.png

hey guys.
just wanting to know the basics of incubating runner duck eggs. im getting some shipped to me this week
celebrate.gif
I've incubated chicken eggs before but duck eggs are I bit different from what ive heard.
can you do the dry incubation method with duck eggs? and what temperatures and humidity do I have to have my bator at?

thanks for any help
big_smile.png
Congratulations on the runner eggs!!

I am not a hatcher . . . but I know about this Sticky, that will help some. There are key differences between hatching chicken and duck eggs. @Lacrystol and many others have been helpful with this topic, too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

(I know it says goose, but it applies to waterfowl in general, I believe.)

hey guys.
celebrate.gif

thanks for any help
big_smile.png

Got to www.lwbarnhouse.com click on the duck tab you will see two methods that I have used, do not combine both methods.

I have a pair of buff runners and an odd black call drake. I hatched out this duckling and it appears to be a dark brown or chocolate with lacing. Could 2 buffs produce this color or do you guys think he's a crossbreed? It carries itself very upright.

What a cutie! I don't know much about duck genetics, though. While the darker duckling at first might seem to indicate the black call drake was involved, I am not sure if there could be some recessive genes carried by your runners.

Dinner time...these are French Indian Runner Ducks...they always come home whenever I shout out...maison quackidoodies....the French neighbours think I am mad...well yes..maybe....!

Back
Top Bottom