*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

So, I got an order of chocolate runner ducklings from Metzer farms earlier this year. I have been waiting on pins and needles for them to arrive. My order of Roman Goslings from them came in March and are growing great. One died soon after arrival, but they added a replacement to my May duckling order.

Fast forward to this week. My order arrived yesterday with 1/2 of the ducklings dead. 3 more have died in the past 24 hours. The only thing I can figure is that something happened in shipping to this group. The farm will, of course, refund or replace the shipment since they died in transit/soon after arrival.

Anybody have any ideas what might've happened to the 5 who died in transit?

I was trying to use a brooder plate - set at an angle so the runners could get under and be warm as well as the gosling - on the survivors after their arrival (and made sure the dodo-brains figured out how it worked so they could get warm.) Would using that have affected the 3 who I lost after arrival? Just in case, I have swapped to a heat lamp, but I'd rather not risk a house fire if I don't have to, as it's too cold to brood outside and they're in my master bathroom right now. I don't want to risk losing the last 2 or my little gosling.
I've got a new "Cozy Hoop Heater" plate from MyPetChicken in transit, which I hope will work well with the different-sized birds. But still...8/10 dead is bad.

So, I got an order of chocolate runner ducklings from Metzer farms earlier this year. I have been waiting on pins and needles for them to arrive. My order of Roman Goslings from them came in March and are growing great. One died soon after arrival, but they added a replacement to my May duckling order.

Fast forward to this week. My order arrived yesterday with 1/2 of the ducklings dead. 3 more have died in the past 24 hours. The only thing I can figure is that something happened in shipping to this group. The farm will, of course, refund or replace the shipment since they died in transit/soon after arrival.

Anybody have any ideas what might've happened to the 5 who died in transit?

I was trying to use a brooder plate - set at an angle so the runners could get under and be warm as well as the gosling - on the survivors after their arrival (and made sure the dodo-brains figured out how it worked so they could get warm.) Would using that have affected the 3 who I lost after arrival? Just in case, I have swapped to a heat lamp, but I'd rather not risk a house fire if I don't have to, as it's too cold to brood outside and they're in my master bathroom right now. I don't want to risk losing the last 2 or my little gosling.
I've got a new "Cozy Hoop Heater" plate from MyPetChicken in transit, which I hope will work well with the different-sized birds. But still...8/10 dead is bad.
I had 8 delivered last June with three casualties, three replacements sent mid July with one casualty and eight shipped mid October with zero casualties.

The October ducks are noticeably bigger and more rambunctious than the first order.

IMO, they ship better in cooler weather.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think the USPS has gone downhill with their shipping. Maybe the ducklings were left out on the loading dock too long exposed to cold weather or shipping was delayed. After losing 5 chicks and 2 Runner ducklings from shipping I will never order through the mail again.

Fred and Ginger having their first swim at their new home

20210521_151705.jpg

Back
Top Bottom