Runner/Pekin Crosses - Color?

They actually started laying when they were 4 months old so they have been laying 4 months and haven't gone a day with out at least 5 most days 6 eggs a few times all 7 at once. I keep thinking they will slow down soon. You Runner should start back laying soon if your Pekin is mating with her.  That is usually what starts my girls back after they have hatched ducklings. I am talking Muscovy here since I haven't had any of my youngins hatch anything. Maybe it's not the same for these R/B's this is all new to me. Only ever had scovy's.
You're getting at least 5 duck eggs a day and they started laying at 4 months??Your girls are amazing!!

Rats! Dad (Pekin) is in a brooder by himself while his bumblefoot is being treated. None of the scovies has ever had bumblefoot, so this was new to me...I was scovy-only, too, until a few weeks ago. It's been eye-opening to see how different they really are from mallard-derived breeds. The Pekin sure is easier to handle than the scovies! I actually bought welding gloves specifically for handling them, and they have come in handy a couple of times.

You're getting at least 5 duck eggs a day and they started laying at 4 months??Your girls are amazing!!

Rats! Dad (Pekin) is in a brooder by himself while his bumblefoot is being treated. None of the scovies has ever had bumblefoot, so this was new to me...I was scovy-only, too, until a few weeks ago. It's been eye-opening to see how different they really are from mallard-derived breeds. The Pekin sure is easier to handle than the scovies! I actually bought welding gloves specifically for handling them, and they have come in handy a couple of times.
Yes they are amazing I was very surprised since all of my scovy girls are born one year and don't lay till the next usually 8-9 months old before they start.
Well she just might start back laying with out the drke because folks that have females with out a drake get egg still I am just going by what happens here. Just like my hens once the roo begins mating with the hen again then the egg comes and she begins to start weaning her chicks off of her.

It's nice having eggs to bake with and eat over cold months since only one bantam hen has been laying all my LF hens have stopped since they molted back in Oct. Getting old.

Update: the ducklings are almost 12 weeks old now, and some of the blue is actually morphing into brown. I spotted a duck with brown on her chest (it changes to blue as it goes up the side of her torso) today during evening feeding, and then saw that a couple of others have the same coloring. This has been really interesting...not sure what color they'll eventually land on.
smile.png

Update: the ducklings are almost 12 weeks old now, and some of the blue is actually morphing into brown. I spotted a duck with brown on her chest (it changes to blue as it goes up the side of her torso) today during evening feeding, and then saw that a couple of others have the same coloring. This has been really interesting...not sure what color they'll eventually land on.
smile.png
Wow, that's really unique! Do you have a picture?
tongue.png

The weather has not been cooperative for good photos, but the sun finally made a brief appearance this afternoon, so here's what I snapped:

If you look at the one standing to the immediate right of and slightly behind Runner mama, the chest coloration has a brownish cast. Anyone else see it? There are a couple of them that have this coloring.

@FoodFreedomNow I can see it. and most likely from mama Runner. Does she still hang out with her brood? They are all so pretty.

By the way how is Dad?

The weather has not been cooperative for good photos, but the sun finally made a brief appearance this afternoon, so here's what I snapped:

If you look at the one standing to the immediate right of and slightly behind Runner mama, the chest coloration has a brownish cast. Anyone else see it? There are a couple of them that have this coloring.
What a lovely family photo!!! Yep, I see the brown! Is that one a drake?

Back
Top Bottom