Runny nose??

how did it turn out? I picked up two 7wk ish girls a few weeks ago. They are doing fine, but have a sneeze and the smaller one gets a snot bubble from time to time. Other than that they seem pretty vibrant. I had them on Corid for a week because I was worried about the other end and now I have them on oregano/garlic/ACV water, but I do have VetRX and oxytetracycline in the med kit. No runny eyes, swollen heads, and I suspect if in a large flock situation, they wouldn't get a second glance.

Last edited:
Can any one recommend an antibiotic for the runny rose or sneezing that you can get at Tractor Supply? Or is that something I have to go to the vet for. I'm not about to spend $$$$ for 6$ bird.

Tylan 50 100ml
$16.99 plus tax ($18.51 in CA)
It sounds like too much money for a $6 bird but it'll last a while for just one bird in case he/she contracts the virus again (very likely).

Inject 1/2 ml on one side of the stomach & 1/2 through the mouth once a day.
Repeat cycle for 3-5 days. Depending on how bad they are.

Unfortunately the feed stores will no longer be selling antibiotics for animals starting Jan 2017.

Okay what you are describing does not sound good.  You could very well be dealing with a respiratory disease.  If they were all sneezing and now runny noses are circulating, it appears to be contagious and respiratory in nature.  Unfortunately, you cannot just "give" them something and fix it and here are things you need to think about, consider or determine...

1.  Exactly what they have.  There are various types of respiratory illness and they can be either fungal, viral or bacterial.  Treatment depends on what the exact problem is.

2.  Antibiotics come in various medications because they treat various illnesses.  They do not work for everything and one may work with fungal whereas another works with bacterial and etc.

3.  What are your intentions for your birds....pets or resale? 
4.  Do you have access to an avian vet?  Would you be willing or able to have one or all examined by a vet?

Questions I have and my opinion is:

Why are chicks are these varying ages housed together right now?  Where did the chicks come from meaning did the age groups come from different sources?  Are you willing to consider culling the entire flock of youngsters?

My opinion and suggestions are this....I would seek a vet exam or at a minimum, sacrifice one of the chicks showing symptoms to a State testing facility for appropriate testing to know what I was dealing with.  If you are dealing with a contagious respiratory disease, culling the flock is the smart decision.  Respiratory disease cannot be cured and you would need to close your flock meaning no new birds in and no birds out EVER until the flock dies off.

Research respiratory illnesses and diseases in poultry and manage the situation appropriately.  I would caution you to be very wary of allowing any other birds in contact with these chicks and/or the ground they are on.  Respiratory disease can spread like wildfire and it will infect an entire flock in a flash.

Also consider this...what type of bedding are they are?  Is it dusty where they are? Is it drafty or windy where they are?  Is the discharge from their nose colorless and/or odorless.  Is their poo normal? 

You need to be able to answer these questions and get to the bottom of this.  Can you give more information and answer some of the questions I have asked so that I can try to supply you with some resources or further information?
I seem to be having the same type of problem with two of my birds. They are both acting normal and are still laying but both have snotty noses and i know for a fact that its not water. I only noticed this today but since i am a new chicken owner, i would like to know that they're OK. Thankyou, and please reply as soon as possible!

I have the same issue as OP! Anyone had success treating this clear runny nose and sneezing? No other symptoms including any kind of lethargy! Everyone is happy, noisy and eating and drinking. Wondering if its an airborne irritant?

My hen has a runny beak. Other than that she seems fine. She's my pet and I really love her. I'm looking for all problems possible.the "snot" is clear and feels like water. Could she just be dunking her head in water? If she is how can I watch and see. Thanks and PLEASE help!

I'd just keep an eye on them. Put a little apple cider vinegar in the water, it's good for all things. Do a little research on it so you have a bigger idea what it does.

Also, my best friend is a vet and she has educated me on giving them antibiotics with a syringe only when needed. I've had to do this to the whole flock only once. They recovered from their respiratory infection nicely.

My hens & Roo are my pets too. I just love them all.

What type of antibiotic did you use?

Back
Top Bottom