Runt? Accidental bantam? First time silkie mom.

NemezisStar

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
Hi all!
So 15.05 i've hatched 26 chicks. Australorps, wayandottes, marans and 3 silkies.
One of them is not growing like the others and has scissore beak. I call him(her) Stefan and (s)he is sweet active chick. Every morning i feed him scrambled eggs. Every day i check his crop so i know he is eating ok. He eats crumbs just fine. Every 3 days i file his beak as upper grows so quick! But he is about half size of my others 2 silkies. Is it possible that he is bantam silkie by accident? The guy i've got eggs from is not sure origin one his hen. But she is normal in size. Or just is that i have noticed his beak problem when he was 3 weeks old? There was no sign of that earlier. Even now you need to look very closely to notice that.
This is my first time hatching eggs snd rising chicks from 0-6 weeks so it can be my fault?

Ps. Sorry for my english.

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_072525.jpg
    IMG_20230528_072525.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 114
If he is a pure Silkie then there is only one possible size. Silkies are true bantams but they are larger than most other bantams. He is probably just growing slowly since he has cross beak, he might also have some internal issues.

He is 6.5 weeks old now. Oh. Only they're bantam size? I've red in google that they are middle size and bantam "Silkies are a light weight chicken. Males will weigh around 1.8kg and females will weigh 1.3kg. Bantam males are 600g and females 500g."
Like i've said. First time silkie mom.

I'm concern that someone from the flock hurt him. Like jump on him etc. Right now is no pecking in my flock.

Base on the photo can someone tell me how bad case his beak might be?

Attachments

• IMG_20230529_090622.jpg
    IMG_20230529_090622.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230528_103558.jpg
    IMG_20230528_103558.jpg
    781.1 KB · Views: 18
His beak is not bad looking at all. I would separate him with a few of the smallest chicks you have so he's less likely to get hurt.

Oh i've forgoted to mention that he cannot open his beak fully. Only like 1/3.
Rn they all sleep on the floor. Im worried that when they start roosting they jump on him. There is not anythig going on purpose.

Funny thing he is the only one who pecks others feet to get access to the food.

I've tryied to separate him and 2 other Silkies but they all get stressed and stopped to eat. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom