Runt being picked on

Jaymejaymz

Hatching
Mar 29, 2023
We got three bantam silkies last week and two polish chicks the following morning. All freshly hatched. One of our silkies (Rosie) started off being the bully to the new chicks but everyone seemed to even out a bit. About 4 days in I noticed Rosie’s personality changed she seemed very timid. Found out she had pasty butt so probably wasn’t feeling great. I got it all cleared up and she is good now but since then one of the Polish chicks who is much larger than her sibling has become the top bird and will continue to pick on Rosie. Rosie is afraid to come out and eat with the bunch most of the time and I’m worried she’s not getting enough food and water now.
Long story shirt should I separate Rosie until she gets up to speed with the rest of the chicks, or separate the bully.
I’ve read about just partitioning off the brooder so they aren’t isolated but away from the others.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
One stressed out chick mama!

We got three bantam silkies last week and two polish chicks the following morning. All freshly hatched. One of our silkies (Rosie) started off being the bully to the new chicks but everyone seemed to even out a bit. About 4 days in I noticed Rosie’s personality changed she seemed very timid. Found out she had pasty butt so probably wasn’t feeling great. I got it all cleared up and she is good now but since then one of the Polish chicks who is much larger than her sibling has become the top bird and will continue to pick on Rosie. Rosie is afraid to come out and eat with the bunch most of the time and I’m worried she’s not getting enough food and water now.
Long story shirt should I separate Rosie until she gets up to speed with the rest of the chicks, or separate the bully.
I’ve read about just partitioning off the brooder so they aren’t isolated but away from the others.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
One stressed out chick mama!
I would put some sort of divider in the brooder - making sure Rosie can see the others and vice versa. Make sure she has her own food and water in her section. Re-introduce her every so often (supervised) to see if she is still going to get bullied - once the bullying stops you can remove the divider. I hope all goes well :)

Back
Top Bottom