runt gosling can't keep up with the others, developmental delay

katiebokbok

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Person County, North Carolina
She turned 6 weeks yesterday. Little Midge started showing signs of delay in development some days back, falling behind her fellow goslings. She soon became unstable on her feet. This led to full blown instability and near complete loss of balance. Sometimes even ending stuck on her back. We moved her to the adjacent coop of her flock with her own food and water. She is still within earshot of everyone and gets supervised time with them, as they will accidentally run her over. Her water includes a vitamin supplement and electrolytes. We are feeding them 30% protein unmedicated gamebird crumbles. I stuffed an old t-shirt full of shavings, so she could have something to lean on. When the others go out to graze, I grab her up and we all go together. She got to float around in a large rubbermaid tub, cleaning herself up, and having a gay time doing so. She doesn't seem to see that there's really anything wrong. She's just trying to be a good goose. We are going to keep offering her help until she gets better. I would appreciate the community's thoughts, ideas, solutions, and/or any information.

Midge is trying

Get this girl some niacin asap!
I supplemented my Gosling with nutritional yeast when she had leg weakness and she was completely cured within a few days. Your girl here is more severe so it may take longer to see results but it will help!

Get this girl some niacin asap!
I supplemented my Gosling with nutritional yeast when she had leg weakness and she was completely cured within a few days. Your girl here is more severe so it may take longer to see results but it will help!
Thank you so much for your concern and care. I am giving her niacin(plus E and A, etc...) liquid supplement directly with molasses, so fingers crossed. It is potentially a neurological and/or intestinal congenital disease as she is having difficulty keeping up developmentally. This is what can happen with breeding at hatcheries. I will keep you updated. Thanks again, we will keep at it.

Aww, Midge is trying so hard...I know it must be difficult to see her struggle like that.

I raise more than a few goslings each season, and occasionally there is one that, despite supplemental niacin, adequate protein % feed, and access to healthy pasture, seems to be a little wobbly. I suspect that it may have to do with the extremely fast rate of growth and the challenge it poses to the gosling's internal support structures (skeleton, musculature, etc.) to keep up. I haven't had a gosling that's as unbalanced as Midge, though.

As far as slower growth, Midge's physical challenges are likely contributing. I've seen slower-growing goslings eventually catch up and be indistinguishable from hatch-mates who grew faster, but those goslings didn't have to contend with stability issues as the same time.

Usually, after offering extra vitamin support (my choice is Poultry Nutri-Drench) and encouraging the gosling to get lots of exercise - running around with other goslings usually works well - the ones with leg weakness seem to catch up. I hope this is the case with Midge. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom