Rusting galvanized waterer......

beebiz

Songster
12 Years
Jul 2, 2007
W. Tennessee
I use a Little Giant, 5 gallon, galvanized water fountain to water my chickens with. I've only had it about 4 or 5 months and it is already rusting. I've never had trouble with rust in anything that was galvanized. Do any of you have any idea on how I can stop the rusting?? Anything short of buying another fountain??

Thanks for your input.

Robert

Quote:
Its the water and whats in it thats causing the rust, I personally would not sweat the rust. that being said clean it(the rust) then paint it with something not toxic. Some sort of enamal I suspect, although there are spray cans of Cold galvanize available. Not sure of the potable water aspects of that though!

hope I helped,
Randy

dont know why i quoted you on this,.....hit the wrong response button I think.

Last edited:
Thanks Randy. It may be something in the water. But, we live in the country and have well water (I forgot to mention that before). So, I know it's not chlorine in the water. I actually have two of the waters that are the same age, and the other one is showing no signs of rust at all. That was what had puzzled me. I guess it must have just gotten a better galvanized coating.

Thanks again,
Robert

Quote:
thats right a pin hole would start the rust problem, and even well water will cause rust. dont tell anyone i said this but we have rust stains in our tub occasionaly and we ahve well water also.

Back
Top Bottom