S. Korea is culling millions of poultry

More pointless killing.
he.gif

from the article:
Meanwhile, a news report said a soldier involved in the slaughter operation showed symptoms of a possible bird flu infection.

The army corporal has suffered from a high fever since Sunday when he participated in the disease containment effort, and preliminary tests have shown symptoms of bird flu, Yonhap news agency reported, citing unnamed military authorities. Final tests will take three weeks, the report said.

This is standard procedure in any country for containment ... harsh but effective.​

Quote:
South Korea is not considered a third world country, they are very westernized. I am sure it will raise prices and they will have to import but their people with not starve. Seoul is like any modern, big city, but with less crime than the states!

North Korea however, loses thousands to starvation daily. Their leader has been compared to Stalin and Mao, some of the worst dictatorships ever. In my opinion, Kim Jong-Il is the most dangerous, unstable and unpredictable leader in the world right now.

I just don't see the point in killing all these birds when wild birds carry it too....

I'm not in favor of the killing of the birds either. In fact, I think maybe they need to look at the bigger problem here. Think about it, South Korea is just a bit larger than the state of Indiana. S. Korea's population is almost 50 Million while Indiana's is around 6.5 million. In the last five years S. Korea has killed almost 13.5 million chickens. Can we say OVERPOPULATION??? Of both people and chickens. You cram that many living beings into one area and you are bound to have problems. It's certainly not the chickens faults!

Oh I agree with you guys, I don't think just killing them all is the solution, just wanted to point out the economic situation. According to Wikipedia, South Korea is a major global economic power and one of the wealthiest countries in Asia.

Kodiak is right, that is alot of people and chickens in a small area! My guess is their chicken farms are kept in worse conditions than the U.S., and that is why they are having the problem. That is only a guess, but it seems reasonable. While they are a major economic power, they did it rather quickly, since the Korean War, so I am sure there are many things they need to work on, just like most countries, including ours.

Back
Top Bottom