Sad day for me and my chickies! :-(

chicksurreal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Arizona
One of the dogs I've had for many years killed two of my chickens today with NO warning.

She wasn't trained at all to protect them, and honestly I was worried when we first got chickens that she might be aggressive towards them because she will chase and kill any small animal she gets her jaws on. But from the first day she saw them she acted like they didn't even exist, never even a look from her towards them, so after ten months we were pretty certain she would be okay with them. Wrong!

She got two of them right in front of my husband, too fast to stop it.

I have no idea what got into her, but she will never be trusted around our chickens again.

She's a boxer/pit mix, btw.

At my house, people are always dropping off dogs, cats, and a few strange animals like a turtle at one time. We always have to rehouse them because of our chickens. One of them even did get one of my favorite hens. We have two dogs, the one is 17 years old and he can't here or see, the other is a cow dag and she never looks at the hens, outer hens actually follow her around the yard. Our cat was even scared of our hens, so are the neighbors hunting dogs. The breed of dog shouldn't matter, I don't be leave the breed causes animals to be mean, I think it's the way they were raised.

So sorry to here about you loss, I have lost 4 and only one of them was to a dog. It's hard because by luck those 4 were my favorite hens.

At my house, people are always dropping off dogs, cats, and a few strange animals like a turtle at one time. We always have to rehouse them because of our chickens. One of them even did get one of my favorite hens. We have two dogs, the one is 17 years old and he can't here or see, the other is a cow dag and she never looks at the hens, outer hens actually follow her around the yard. Our cat was even scared of our hens, so are the neighbors hunting dogs. The breed of dog shouldn't matter, I don't be leave the breed causes animals to be mean, I think it's the way they were raised.

So sorry to here about you loss, I have lost 4 and only one of them was to a dog. It's hard because by luck those 4 were my favorite hens.

We are constantly having animals dropped in our area too, and we try to help when we can.

I don't think the breed matters either, it's more to do with temperament and personality. Our Boxer/Pit mix is a rescue dog and she's really very sweet. She just loves to chase things and if she happens to catch them, it's over.

I was just so shocked because we've raised those chickens from day old chicks and she never even looked at them before this. They really trust her because she's never tried to hurt them in any way and I think that's how she got two of them, because normally they are very flighty. They were just as shocked as we were.

Our cats share their cat food with the chickens and have even had it taken out of their mouths by the chickies before, I never worry about them. And I didn't worry about Bella before this either, but she is not going to be allowed outside anymore when the chickens are roaming around.

I'm sorry. My dogs have killed so many chickens. They tag team them. The Italian Greyhound will sneak into the pen and chase the chickens out, while the Chow/Shepard waits outside for them. I think they think the chickens are squeaky toys. They don't eat them. Pisses me off to no end. I make sure that gate is super secure now.

I'm sorry. My dogs have killed so many chickens. They tag team them. The Italian Greyhound will sneak into the pen and chase the chickens out, while the Chow/Shepard waits outside for them. I think they think the chickens are squeaky toys. They don't eat them. Pisses me off to no end. I make sure that gate is super secure now.

Thanks.

I have heard many times about dogs killing chickens and did worry about it at first, but over time I got lazy because she never even looked at them. I guess it was a good lesson for me.

Sorry for your loss. :( I would have thought after that long she wouldn't turn on a dime like that.

@AnotherKim dogs are horrible about killing and leaving carcasses. Their chasing instincts kick in, but they aren't hunting for food so when it's dead, the fun is over. :(

Sorry for your loss. :( I would have thought after that long she wouldn't turn on a dime like that. 

@AnotherKim
 dogs are horrible about killing and leaving carcasses. Their chasing instincts kick in, but they aren't hunting for food so when it's dead, the fun is over. :( 

Exactly. That's why they are more dangerous than some predators. When one is dead, the others are still live and kicking. So the fun starts again for them. I came home one day to almost my whole flock laying dead in the yard. The stray dog or dogs had a field day.

Btw, addressing other posts, I think the breed does matter to some extent. I wouldn't trust a bird dog or hunting dog or a high energy dog that loves to chase. Small dogs, like poms or pekes, etc., I wouldn't worry to much about. Jack Russels I wouldn't trust. With that said, if the owner takes the time to train a dog and make the dog realize you are pack leader and the chickens are part of the pack and the dog is at the bottom of the pack, then just about any breed can live with chickens.

@AnotherKim dogs are horrible about killing and leaving carcasses. Their chasing instincts kick in, but they aren't hunting for food so when it's dead, the fun is over. :(

Thanks very much.

I know, I was so shocked that she did it. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck happened. :-(

Back
Top Bottom