:( Sad one baby looks like it wont make it

jersy87

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
sad.png
so sad! looks like one of the baby chicks arent going to make it. The baby was weak when it hatched but i figured it was just from hatching. well when went out this morning. the baby was away from money cold. so i put it under mommy. went out few min later baby was away again. so i brought it in the house under heat light. its not able to stand.. i dont know what is going on.. anyone have any ideas?

We had a very weak baby the other day. We took turns holding her on our chests under our shirts and getting as much sugar water and then food into her as she got stronger. After about 8 hours she was doing much better so I put her back in the brooder and she's doing just fine now.

Not all newborns of any species are going to make it. It is sad, but that is just the way it is. There are so many things that can and do go wrong in development it is a wonder any of them make it. Take comfort in the fact that if it is going to die it do so now before you have put a lot of time, feed and effort into it. Sorry. It never gets any easier. For me anyway.

I wish I had an updated picture to post of my Hercules but I'll have to take one later... He is actually what started this whole mess I'm in
wink.png
I wasn't going to keep any chicks, just hatching for my kinder after school class and then Hercules hatched! He/She was not doing well with the whole hatching thing and I ended up having to help at the very end. He was in bad shape, wouldn't lift up his head, was bleeding from cord (which I ended up tying off, long story!) and I just couldn't leave him there to die. So, I took him home to die... and to bury... I had a preemie baby and remembered kangaroo care in the hospital, and because I also felt REALLLLYYY guilty leaving this practically dead chick in a paper towel in my truck while I went shopping, I tucked him into my cleavage and went on my merry way. I TOTALLY FORGOT HE WAS THERE!!! After getting home, dealing with my four cranky kids, chores etc... I was getting ready for bed and I heard this tiny chirp! Scared me to death! Hercules was not dead as I really thought he was, and he was trying!!! I made him a little container by my bed, fed him sugar water and took him everywhere with me for the next couple of days. (it helped that he freaked out if he wasn't skin to skin!) After 3 days he lifted his head on his own and that's when I knew he was going to make it! He is now huge and quite the ring leader out of my five chickens that I am keeping... I can still walk into a room and yell "Hercules, Hercules! " and he stops what he is doing and chirps back!

Little chick is walking now but little unsteady. It has been drinking water from dish, and ate some chick starter...
He is chirping as well. should I put a stuff toy in there for something to snuggle too??

What does sugar water do??

In my "weak or tiny" chick brooder I put two little stuffed animals. A penguin beanie baby and a little rabbit. They love to sleep under the penguins little wings and roost on top of the rabbits head... go figure
smile.png
I just throw them in the wash every so often and they are good as new.

The sugar water as I understand it can give them a little bit of extra energy. It sure worked for Hercules
wink.png

ill have to give that a try.. same with sugar water.. the little baby is sleeping in my hand right now.. so cute..

Last edited:
I hatched out 1 baby call duck a few weeks ago-it was days overdue and I went to throw the egg out-well I pped it fist and it was pipped internally and I picked off some of the shell-long story short I hatched it out in my hands-something was seriously wrong with him-for the next 3 days I had to lift his body up and feed him vitamins-water-wet mash you name it-I held him for almost 3 days-on the 4rth day he lifted his head very wobbly and I was overjoyed-I actually contemplated putting him down the night prior:-( ahhhhh
By the 5th day he could eat and drink very wobbly and could not walk very well-but he was doing it all on his own-by the time he was 10 days old that little sucker was running all over brooder-all by himself-that was after I taught him how to stand for hours I would hold him up on his webbed feet to strengthen his leg and feet muscles!!! His name is "muffin" and I too carried him around in my cleavage-he still loves it. He is small for his age but just today I slipped him in and went for walk around property -he loves it!

There is always hope and patience-sometimes it works and unfortunately sometimes it doesnt-Ive had many handicappers that didn't and very few that did-it precious times like with my baby call that makes me try and not give up hope:) good luck!

Back
Top Bottom