Sad Surprise when I got home today

bayareapilot

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 8, 2010
San Francisco
I was looking at my security cameras when I came home in the early evening. And on one of the cameras I saw one of my youngest hens that is one of the four sapphire gyms laying on her side and apparently dead.

So I went outside with a flood light in hand as well as a head flashlight to see what might have occurred.

So I checked out her body No signs of trauma anywhere her vents totally clean No discharge from the nostrils no discharge from the mouth no fouling of the feathers underneath the mouth. No signs of any sort of puncture trauma?

So I reviewed the video from a few camera views from earlier today and it looks like she was sitting on top of the roof of the external nesting box that comes off the side of the main coop. Looks like she walked around up there No issue. Another can jumped up to walk around the same area and I watched carefully to see if there was any sign of a fight or anything like that and there wasn't. The second hand that it jumped up just jumped down rather hop flew down. Then the hen in question, was kind of walking back and forth trying to figure the best spot to hop fly off of she did seem a little off but not any great degree and I just seen them all this morning and they all look fine. So she did a hop fly off the top of the nesting box roof to the ground and sort of ran a little bit and then sat down a few feet away in the sand. The rooster seemed concerned cuz he was circling her and looking at her like something was wrong so maybe she was making some sort of sound or noise? I don't know because the cameras don't pick up sound. She expired pretty soon after laying down it looks like spontaneously she stretched out one wing rolled on her side and wings moved around kind of frantically and then she just sort of collapsed.

The only reason I'm posting this is I was wondering if it's possible for such a young hen she's probably not even 2 years old to have some congenital heart defect and maybe have a heart attack?

Again I saw no obvious signs of trauma are sickness or poisoning God forbid.

Just wondering if any of you just had a otherwise perfectly normal acting hen just spontaneously die and rather quickly?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

It's been an unusually awful week. Just this Sunday my dog of almost 15 and a half years passed away. That's why when I got home and I saw at first glance which look like a hen laying on her side I thought I just must be misinterpreting an image just because of everything that's happened this week with the passing of my small dog. But sure enough I enlarge the image and it was the hen and she had died 😟

I came across
I was looking at my security cameras when I came home in the early evening. And on one of the cameras I saw one of my youngest hens that is one of the four sapphire gyms laying on her side and apparently dead.

So I went outside with a flood light in hand as well as a head flashlight to see what might have occurred.

So I checked out her body No signs of trauma anywhere her vents totally clean No discharge from the nostrils no discharge from the mouth no fouling of the feathers underneath the mouth. No signs of any sort of puncture trauma?

So I reviewed the video from a few camera views from earlier today and it looks like she was sitting on top of the roof of the external nesting box that comes off the side of the main coop. Looks like she walked around up there No issue. Another can jumped up to walk around the same area and I watched carefully to see if there was any sign of a fight or anything like that and there wasn't. The second hand that it jumped up just jumped down rather hop flew down. Then the hen in question, was kind of walking back and forth trying to figure the best spot to hop fly off of she did seem a little off but not any great degree and I just seen them all this morning and they all look fine. So she did a hop fly off the top of the nesting box roof to the ground and sort of ran a little bit and then sat down a few feet away in the sand. The rooster seemed concerned cuz he was circling her and looking at her like something was wrong so maybe she was making some sort of sound or noise? I don't know because the cameras don't pick up sound. She expired pretty soon after laying down it looks like spontaneously she stretched out one wing rolled on her side and wings moved around kind of frantically and then she just sort of collapsed.

The only reason I'm posting this is I was wondering if it's possible for such a young hen she's probably not even 2 years old to have some congenital heart defect and maybe have a heart attack?

Again I saw no obvious signs of trauma are sickness or poisoning God forbid.

Just wondering if any of you just had a otherwise perfectly normal acting hen just spontaneously die and rather quickly?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

It's been an unusually awful week. Just this Sunday my dog of almost 15 and a half years passed away. That's why when I got home and I saw at first glance which look like a hen laying on her side I thought I just must be misinterpreting an image just because of everything that's happened this week with the passing of my small dog. But sure enough I enlarge the image and it was the hen and she had died 😟

I came across this description of something called Chicken Sudden Death Syndrome and this phrase is EXACTLY what I saw on the video the instant before she died (and I mean seconds):
  • "To be able to confirm Sudden Death Syndrome as the cause of death, the hen would be seen to have had convulsions and extreme wing-flapping for just a few seconds before she died. "
This describes EXACTLy what I saw and the write of the blog post mentioned her hen was 9 months old (and mine was barely 10 months old). Possible 'answer' perhaps...

Back
Top Bottom