Saddle air cell incubation

Farmchickstogo

Chirping
Jul 17, 2021
Hi! It has been awhile since I have posted on here but I am needing some advice for my latest hatch. I have some ayum cemani eggs in my incubator, that a relative sent me in the mail. The problem is I've have done many hatches, but never with shipped eggs. All six eggs have bad air cells and I am not sure what to do. They are currently on day 7 and I am incubating them upright because of what I have read but, all but one is showing significant vein growth, but I can't find a chick in any of them! I have been candling every day to check on them and the veins keep growing but still no chick! So my question is are they growing stuck to the air cell? Should I move them to their side? How often should I turn them?
Thanks in for taking the time to read!

Hi! It has been awhile since I have posted on here but I am needing some advice for my latest hatch. I have some ayum cemani eggs in my incubator, that a relative sent me in the mail. The problem is I've have done many hatches, but never with shipped eggs. All six eggs have bad air cells and I am not sure what to do. They are currently on day 7 and I am incubating them upright because of what I have read but, all but one is showing significant vein growth, but I can't find a chick in any of them! I have been candling every day to check on them and the veins keep growing but still no chick! So my question is are they growing stuck to the air cell? Should I move them to their side? How often should I turn them?
Thanks in for taking the time to read!
If there's veins, there's an embryo inside. Can't have an embryo without the veins.

Yes, incubating upright(Pointy End Down), for shipped eggs is good. I've done this many times, with regular turner types.

The newer way I've incubated shipped eggs was in the cups of a cut egg carton, & gently rocked them for about a week before I transferred to the rolling turner. Hatch was the same if I were to use the Rocking turner type.

Saddled air cells are very common, & not a huge risk for hatching chicks.

Turning should be done at least 4 - 6 times a day or more would be sufficient. That's where automatic egg turners are great for.

If there's veins, there's an embryo inside. Can't have an embryo without the veins.

Yes, incubating upright(Pointy End Down), for shipped eggs is good. I've done this many times, with regular turner types.

The newer way I've incubated shipped eggs was in the cups of a cut egg carton, & gently rocked them for about a week before I transferred to the rolling turner. Hatch was the same if I were to use the Rocking turner type.

Saddled air cells are very common, & not a huge risk for hatching chicks.
The problem is I have a small incubator with a rolling turner so I have them in egg carton cups and I am turning them by hand. Should I keep them in the egg carton cups for the rest of incubation? How often should I turn them?

The problem is I have a small incubator with a rolling turner so I have them in egg carton cups and I am turning them by hand. Should I keep them in the egg carton cups for the rest of incubation? How often should I turn them?
As long as the air cell is no longer shifting, they can be placed on their sides for the turner to take over.

How's it going/gone?
I am really late in responding to this but it went not as planned. Out of the six eggs, four made it to lockdown and two pipped. We had a sheep giving birth while this was happening, she ended up having quads so we were gone for a long time, when I came back to the house one of the chicks had passed away and the other was stuck in the shell. I got it out and he lived for about a week but he was just too weak to survive. All the issues I had were completely unrelated to the air cells, so I totally recommend upright incubation for shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom