Safely eating chicked medium rare, sublime!

bachbach1

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2013
First of all I am not just cooking chicken medium rare and eating it, that would be dangerous, and stupid. So don't read my post title and try just that.

The process requires a special technique call sous vide, pronounced sue vee, from here I will just call it SV. Also before we go any further this method is APPROVED by the US department of Agriculture to be 100% safe. Sv is used to tenderize meat and make it 100% safe to eat, according to USDA if you hold the temp at 127F for 1 hour and 47 minutes, at that point it is pasteurized and germ free. I cook chicken at 135F for 3 hours. If it is an old tough bird cook it for 8 to 12 hours. With SV the meat doesnt cook beond the temp you set it at, even if you cook it for 48 hours. Like if you cook a chuck steak at 133F for 24 hours it will be as tender as ribeye, and still perfectly pink like a grilled steak cooked to 133F internally. The main difference is a SV cooked steak will be pasturized, perfectly pink as in evenly cooked all the way through. When you SV meat it needs to be seared on the outside to add flavor, it looks like it is boiled when it comes out of the bag you cook it in. You can add herbs and salt to the bag and it infuses the meat just like it wss marinaded for days.

For chicken I like to SV it for 3 hours at 135F, bread and fry it, and then you just brown the breading because the chicken is already safe to eat when SV to the minimum time and temps. Don't cook chicken too long it can get mushy if you go 24 hours. You can buy a brisket in a bag, don't open it just submerge it in water , any container that is large enough like an ice chest or tub. Use a SV appliance, set it for 24 to 48 hrs at 135F. Check the water level every morning and night. When it is done, open it and brown the outside in a smoker or oven. In an oven I like to brown them for one hour at 425 to 450F. Be sure to season it before browning it, because you cooked it in the bag. You will end up with tenderest most decadent beef you ever ate. On chicken if you don't bread and fry, fry it without breading or brown it in an oven set at 450F until it has good color.

The SV process is: you place the meat in a vacuum bag or an ordinary ziplock or other plastic bag. If you dont use a vacuum sealer make sure you get as much air out of the bag as you can. On a non vacuum sealed bag place the meat in the bag, and leave the bag partially open and slowly submerge it in water. As you submerge the bag the water presses against the bag, and forces the air out of the bag, at that point you seal the bag. if your bag floats place weights on it, like plates bowls or anything else that makes sense. Set your temp, and time and let it go. When I first started using SV to cook, the SV appliances were $1200, now they are less than $50 if you shop, ebay is a good source. The fact that you can make chuck, or round steak as tender as rib-eye alone is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom