Safety of buried eggs?

I didn't have time to read all the posts but the ones I did read i did not see mention of the float test. Sorry if this is repetitive... to test if a egg is still good to eat drop them in water, if they float they are bad, real bad, if they sink to the bottom and sit still with one one end point up.. they are good to eat.. there are are some that don't quite settle as the fat end shows signs that it wants to float... people say that's still good to eat but I through those out to be on the safe side.

I didn't have time to read all the posts but the ones I did read i did not see mention of the float test. Sorry if this is repetitive... to test if a egg is still good to eat drop them in water, if they float they are bad, real bad, if they sink to the bottom and sit still with one one end point up.. they are good to eat.. there are are some that don't quite settle as the fat end shows signs that it wants to float... people say that's still good to eat but I through those out to be on the safe side.

Thanks! That’s helpful.

I know that in the UK egg standards are really different than us in the US or Canada. Because of reading up on how the UK stores eggs, I will leave them out on the counter to consume for up to two weeks in a basket, provided they are not soiled looking. My hens started laying recently but I do have other birds eg.. quail with about three inches of shavings. I find older eggs buried on occasion and in Canada this is not usually a big deal because in general it is cooler here. Lately, (to get to my point lol) we have been having g extreme weather like tonight, I am sitting outside with a temp of 43c very hot and humid. I dont even bother with eggs that I find if I know they are more than a couple days old. Eggs are great fresh but as I read up near the top of this thread eggs are cheap enough and for me it is just not worth it.

I know that in the UK egg standards are really different than us in the US or Canada. Because of reading up on how the UK stores eggs, I will leave them out on the counter to consume for up to two weeks in a basket, provided they are not soiled looking. My hens started laying recently but I do have other birds eg.. quail with about three inches of shavings. I find older eggs buried on occasion and in Canada this is not usually a big deal because in general it is cooler here. Lately, (to get to my point lol) we have been having g extreme weather like tonight, I am sitting outside with a temp of 43c very hot and humid. I dont even bother with eggs that I find if I know they are more than a couple days old. Eggs are great fresh but as I read up near the top of this thread eggs are cheap enough and for me it is just not worth it.

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you. You’re right, totally not worth it. I did throw them into the woods. But so far haven’t found anymore buried since I took a bunch of shavings out. And WOW!! That is hot!!! :eek: :th

Thank you Mary! These are all excellent points. I’m thinking I’ll just throw them out. We get plenty as it is and the new girls should be laying pretty soon (hopefully within a month or two) so probably best to just be safe. You are sure right about food poisoning. I had a horrible incident just last week which is the incident I was referring to. I think that was the sickest I have ever been in my entire life. It was miserable. Thankfully, I was over it within a day or so but my dad, who also got sick at the same time, took a few days. Definitely do not want a repeat of that though so I think I will chuck the eggs. And good point on all the other stuff. Don’t want to make any of the animals sick and definitely do not want to stink up the kitchen especially in this heat haha plus I guess we eat their eggs so I probably shouldn’t give them anything risky. And yeah, it’s been like 80s here so maybe that makes them unsafe too sitting in that?

So, what did you eat that made you sick? Eggs?
I don't think I've ever gotten sick from eggs, store-bought or otherwise. I often eat eggs from my older hens with cracked shells, so I'm not too careful. I also sometimes eat them raw, but not the ones with cracked shells.) I've read some people keep them at room temp. for several weeks and eat them.
I'm not saying what I think you should or shouldn't do, but I wouldn't worry so much. They work hard to make each egg, and they aren't cheap - especially if you feed high quality organic feed. I hate to waste any.
Yeah, crack into a bowl if you're concerned, I once cracked a bad egg into an omelet I was making - omg...

Thank you Mary! These are all excellent points. I’m thinking I’ll just throw them out. We get plenty as it is and the new girls should be laying pretty soon (hopefully within a month or two) so probably best to just be safe. You are sure right about food poisoning. I had a horrible incident just last week which is the incident I was referring to. I think that was the sickest I have ever been in my entire life. It was miserable. Thankfully, I was over it within a day or so but my dad, who also got sick at the same time, took a few days. Definitely do not want a repeat of that though so I think I will chuck the eggs. And good point on all the other stuff. Don’t want to make any of the animals sick and definitely do not want to stink up the kitchen especially in this heat haha plus I guess we eat their eggs so I probably shouldn’t give them anything risky. And yeah, it’s been like 80s here so maybe that makes them unsafe too sitting in that?

So, what did you eat that made you sick? Eggs?
I don't think I've ever gotten sick from eggs, store-bought or otherwise. I often eat eggs from my older hens with cracked shells, so I'm not too careful. I also sometimes eat them raw, but not the ones with cracked shells.) I've read some people keep them at room temp. for several weeks and eat them.
I'm not saying what I think you should or shouldn't do, but I wouldn't worry so much. They work hard to make each egg, and they aren't cheap - especially if you feed high quality organic feed. I hate to waste any.
Yeah, crack into a bowl if you're concerned, I once cracked a bad egg into an omelet I was making - omg...

Smoked salmon from a BBQ place actually haha it tasted delicious but the food poisoning afterwards.... awful haha

But yeah, I’ve never gotten sick from eggs either but I think I’m just maybe a bit paranoid haha although I do eat raw cookie dough quite often even storebought.

Hello - I have about 3 inches of shavings in the ladies’ nesting boxes. An egg really can’t get buried in that depth. I check for eggs about twice a day since I have early layers and late layers. My standard is, if I don’t know how old the egg is, I throw it out. My daughter in law uses the float test & if they pass, the family eats them. They have never been sick from that method. I just don’t because I want fresh eggs I know were just laid. My grandson was hunting plastic Easter Eggs last year and came across a nest of 17 eggs in my pump house. My daughter in law float tested them & they were all good. We’ve laughed about that, but I choose not to eat eggs that aren’t laid in the coop and I know they are today’s eggs. We don’t have a rooster right now, so there are no worries about growing hatchlings.

Back
Top Bottom