Safety of eating eggs from newly discovered guinea nest

OliverAndCo

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2023
I haven’t had too much luck finding the guinea nests so far this year. Every time I find one, it’s because something else found them first and scattered shells. However… tonight I found one with almost 40 eggs in it (we have 8 guineas, I think 4 females), so even if all 4 are using this nest, every day, it’s been around for at the very least 10 days, but probably a bit longer if I had to guess. We’ve been getting quite a bit of rain the last 2 weeks, so I’m wondering how safe they’d be to eat? It seems to me like they wouldn’t be safe because surely the bloom would be gone by now, and they’re sitting outside in 70-80 degrees every day. But I just think of all the delicious omelets and adorable mini deviled eggs I could make with them 🤩 and it’s hard to see them all go to waste (I’m not interested in hatching any right now).
What’s the general consensus on this scenario? Is there a cutoff of temp/amount of rain that is too much?
Thanks!

Granted, they could have sat on our kitchen counter for a month provided not washed, but these got rained on a few times so who knows if that took bloom off or not and some growth can actually start at 80F.

I would take no chances and would either scramble them up over the course of a few days and feed them back to them, or put some in an incubator.

Granted, they could have sat on our kitchen counter for a month provided not washed, but these got rained on a few times so who knows if that took bloom off or not and some growth can actually start at 80F.

I would take no chances and would either scramble them up over the course of a few days and feed them back to them, or put some in an incubator.
Yes, I would have to agree with you. Great idea to cook and feed back. My chickens are confined now, so they’d probably really appreciate them! :)

Back
Top Bottom