Sagitta Breed - Looking for Info

Quote:
Here's a link to the cage. It is super small and used for our pet rabbit. We have a childcare and sometimes we put the rabbit out in it outside and let the kids check it out. I'm using it for the chicks short term. The birds will be heading out to my friends farm on Saturday.

http://www.petptt.com/rabbit/html/2060.html

Hi new to this forum and just today went to my local feed store to pick out a group of chicks. I live in SE Wa and Dunlap was the hatchery this feed store uses. They also had this new breed and told me it was a RI Red cross with other "red breeds". I too, went to the website mentioned and it was interesting. I have Buff Orpingtons, Barrred Plymouth Rocks and I am moving towards self sufficiency so I bought some chicks for food production ( I hope I don't offend anyone!) My Buffs and Barred rocks are my layer flock and I LOVE Them!! They are my babies and they are very spoiled girls. I bought a few turkeys and then this new breed. What I'm thinking is possibly crossing this Sagitta with a lighter breed and see what comes out of it?? Maybe a healthier broiler??? I don't know just thinking now, it will be interesting to see what the Sagitta's turn out like eh? Guess will see what happens together!
big_smile.png

Quote:
What I have noticed so far out of the 12 birds we have is the dispositions vary greatly. Unlike older breeds (i'm assuming) who's characteristics and mannerisms usually resemble each other, the Sagittas are all over the place. I've noticed the whiter or less colored they are as chicks, the fewer characteristics I like. The darker birds appear to be smarter and more resilient. Basically darker birds look more capable to survive if they were on their own. If I was in a position to, I would breed the darkest of the Sagittas I have. I really like all of his characteristics.

Interesting observation. All I bought were 8 pullets so if I like them I'll have to find a rooster I like. Thanks for the info. Did you say you went to Dunlaps to pick them up? I live in Eastern Wa, so I was just wondering if a person could order and go over and get them?

Quote:
I live in Boise, and the farm they are at is in Nampa. They have a store on Caldwell Boulevard and I was able to pick them up. I believe most of their business is through mail though.

I also have 6 or 8 Sagitta pullets that I bought by accident. The store had them mixed up with New Hampshire pullets. I called Dunlap and they said that they received them from a single breeder (unidentified). They did inform me that they are a X from a New Hampshire X RIR, then the resulting rooster to a White Cornish hen. I am not sure if it was a NH rooster, or RIR rooster...not sure if that matters much. They appear to be pretty docile, even tempered and quick growers. Currently they are ~ 14 days old.

I am a new member to the forum and this is my first post. I live about 10 miles from Dunlap's, so I called today to see what they had for available for pullets. They told me that Sagitta hens are excellent layers and that they were a New Hapmshire red/RIR cross. They do get these birds from another hatchery. I didn't buy any this time, but I look forward to hearing others' opinions on the breed as they mature.

Tonight we enjoyed some Delaware breasts on the grill. I wrapped them in foil and they turned out pretty good. I haven't had much success putting them directly on the grill like I have with CornishX, but the chickens weren't nearly as disgusting to raise. Please let me know how you like the Sagittas

I have 10 Sagitta purchased 4/17/2011 here are a couple of picks at about 4 weeks of age
91499_crystals_camera_8gig_339.jpg

91499_crystals_camera_8gig_336.jpg

Thought I would add on to here how my mom and I have enjoyed our Sagittas. We each got 2 pullets from Dunlaps beginning of May along with some other breeds of pullets. They developed faster than the other dual purpose and laying breeds we bought, however not as fast as the Cornish X. From the start my mom's were the friendliest of the 12 that she bought. Mine were friendlier than the Plymouth Rocks, but not quite as tame as the Brahmas (may be due to my young children "handling" them). The Sagittas were laying by 20 weeks. Mine freeranged up until a couple weeks ago and those hens would follow me around outside. 1 is especially tame and talks to you and investigates what you are doing. I didn't get the light on the girls soon enough so mine are not laying too frequently currently, however my mom did and hers are laying up a storm. These birds are a nice heavy bird and would make a good dinner, but we are pleased with them as layers.

We would definitely get more of them. Hope this helps out anyone interested in them as layers. My hubby and I talked about possibly getting some to turn into dinner too, but we'll see. I like how quick the Cornish X is, but I wouldn't mind trying something that takes longer to grow out.

Quote:
Those look exactly like my babies that I have right now that I got from Pinepride hatchery and he calls his the Red Star Freedom Ranger...Hmmmm wonder if they are the same bird.. Some of mine are naked necks though..

Back
Top Bottom