Salmon Faverolles Genders

Sekmet

Songster
7 Years
Dec 12, 2016
These are my three week old salmon faverolles. Pretty sure I hatched a cockerel and two pullets, but would like the opinions of more knowledgeable people.

This was their first day out on grass and they're loving life.

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_120124608.jpg
    IMG_20230402_120124608.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20230402_121015794.jpg
    IMG_20230402_121015794.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
It's been almost three more months for those babies to grow up. What did you end up with?

I'm betting two cockerels and a hen but I am NOT experienced in sexing chicks at all. I'm a complete noob at this.

I just noticed one of my 2-1/2 week old chicks has black leg feathers. I ordered one cockerel and six pullets, still waiting to see how accurate the hatchery is. Are black legs male?

I just noticed one of my 2-1/2 week old chicks has black leg feathers. I ordered one cockerel and six pullets, still waiting to see how accurate the hatchery is. Are black legs male?
From my research online (here and other sites) it seems to be that the chicks with black leg feathers are cockerels, yes. I have at least two of my five that have black leg feathers. I just randomly picked some from the TSC stock tank.

When looking online at Salmon Faverolles in general duck duck go image search I see that the roosters almost always have black leg feathers whereas the hens usually have yellow or light brown leg feathers. I have yet to see a hen have black leg feathers.

The attached photo is from a duck duck go image search which links to a Know Your Chickens page. I think this is a good representation of the leg feathering on male vs. female. I'm no expert, just a new owner of a few of this breed now learning heavily about them.

Attachments

• Faverolles-chicken-5.jpg
    Faverolles-chicken-5.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 34
Yes! This is my first time with them, too. I had one little chick that was darker than the others, and had ordered one cockerel. I asked the hatchery if he was my male, and they assured me he was. I have been anxiously watching the supplied pullets for ones that were wrongly sexed. 😂

His black feathers showed up on his legs the day I moved them into the kennel, almost exactly at three weeks. He also has one random future beard feather that is black. ❤️

Yes! This is my first time with them, too. I had one little chick that was darker than the others, and had ordered one cockerel. I asked the hatchery if he was my male, and they assured me he was. I have been anxiously watching the supplied pullets for ones that were wrongly sexed. 😂

His black feathers showed up on his legs the day I moved them into the kennel, almost exactly at three weeks. He also has one random future beard feather that is black. ❤️
Here are some of my "Sammys". It appears as though I only have one pullet and 4 cockerels. I can't yet tell how many are hens vs cockerels from my Sapphire Gems. I have 7 of those.

Attachments

• IMG_20230801_122409283.jpg
    IMG_20230801_122409283.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230801_122424971.jpg
    IMG_20230801_122424971.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom