Salmonella at hatchery

kimmom

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
I heard word of mouth that the hatchery our chicks are arriving from tomorrow has a salmonella outbreak! What do I do?? Too late to cancel my order!!

Must be Mt. Healthy Hatchery. It is strange that this salmonella outbreak was officially posted for public on June 9th, yet there is absolutely nothing on their website regarding this problem.

Its a Canadian hatchery .. was only word of mouth that I heard but we have 5 kids and 50 layers not wanting to deal with salmonella

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not a hatchery expert, but I have spent more time in food manufacturing than I care to mention...
sad.png

Salmonella...it exists, and it is everywhere. So is Listeria.

Salmonella is prominent in fecal matter from birds, or poultry.

Salmonella can be killed by cooking meat to greater than 162F for 25 seconds or so...

I wouldn't be worried about a "hatchery outbreak". I would wash my hands with hot water, sanitize with alcohol (isopropyl), and practice safe food-handling procedures.

Quote:
I'm not a hatchery expert, but I have spent more time in food manufacturing than I care to mention...
sad.png

Salmonella can be killed by cooking meat to greater than 162F for 25 seconds or so...

I wouldn't be worried about a "hatchery outbreak". I would wash my hands with hot water, sanitize with alcohol (isopropyl), and practice safe food-handling procedures.

I completely agree. I think we should all assume that all poultry has salmonella, and act accordingly.

I'd recommend that everyone keep a couple of large bottles of the waterless hand disinfectant near the coops to use when done finishing the birds, as a first step in not transferring germs. I spent yesterday at the hospital waiting on my mother, who was having a minor outpatient procedure, and they have hand sanitizer everywhere, including on the elevators.

Last edited:
Quote:
sad.png

I also agree. However, I would be more worried if this was Salmonella Pullorum. But it seems that it is the regular variety salmonella. Some people got sick from eating under-cooked eggs. now the media is turning the hatchery a sacrificial lamb because we are a fear mongering people.

Quote:
Of course they wouldn't report such a thing, do you think a business like an almighty hatchery would tell their thousands of customers that their selling 10's of thousands of diseased birds. Now their customers can realy look forward to severly inferior stock that is also diseased, yeah unfortunately hatchery buyers will still just shrug their shoulders and click on the add to cart button.
Sorry just not or ever have been a hatchery fan and this just cements my thoughts, too bad it won't effect their business, too many folks could care less if their birds are inferior.

Back
Top Bottom