Salmonella

Quote: Only difference there is your cousin wasn't able to keep infecting chickens and humans, just sayin'
wink.png

Here is the (one of) Chicken Whisperer's broadcast on the salmonella outbreak. He had some poultry experts (veterinarians) on the show discussing what to do with chicks that came from Mt. Healthy Hatchery.

This has some good and interesting information about what folks should do with potentially infected birds. IT doesn't seem to be a case where you just give some antibiotics and that solves the problem.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/backyardpoultry/2014/05/15/backyard-poultry-with-the-chicken-whisperer

Here is the (one of) Chicken Whisperer's broadcast on the salmonella outbreak. He had some poultry experts (veterinarians) on the show discussing what to do with chicks that came from Mt. Healthy Hatchery.

This has some good and interesting information about what folks should do with potentially infected birds. IT doesn't seem to be a case where you just give some antibiotics and that solves the problem.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/backyardpoultry/2014/05/15/backyard-poultry-with-the-chicken-whisperer

the research has been done for you. All you have to do is listen to these (more than one) archived shows, check the CDC reports and then decide for yourselves. Either way, there is no quick fix to clean and rid your flock/eggs/coop/property of salmonella.

I am seeking the same kind of information as Carolina Hen. There has been a Salmonella outbreak in Alberta at the hatchery where I purchased 40 chicks. They are a month old now and no one who's had contact with them is sick. But......................I will be feeding their eggs to my grandchildren.

I'm having a hard time finding any hard facts about whether or not the disease will continue and affect the eggs. Does the disease stay in the chickens system and continue to infect the eggs even if they are laid 3 months from now? Should I just dispatch them to avoid illness in my human friends. Can I still eat them 4 months from now?

I decided to raise chickens to provide my family with a safe food source. Not sure which way to go here. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Patti Rae

I am seeking the same kind of information as Carolina Hen. There has been a Salmonella outbreak in Alberta at the hatchery where I purchased 40 chicks. They are a month old now and no one who's had contact with them is sick. But......................I will be feeding their eggs to my grandchildren. 

I'm having a hard time finding any hard facts about whether or not  the disease will continue and affect the eggs. Does the disease stay in the chickens system and continue to infect the eggs even if they are laid 3 months from now? Should I just dispatch them to avoid illness in my human friends. Can I still eat them 4 months from now? 

I decided to raise chickens to provide my family with a safe food source. Not sure which way to go here. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Patti Rae

Basically, salmonella naturally exists in most chickens. Wether they become sick or not. That is why you don't eat raw cookie dough, and always temp check cooked chicken to reach 165 degrees to make sure germs are killed. That's why you don't cut lettuce on a cutting board you just prepped a chicken on. It's all common sense things you've heard before, it just sounds scary now. Be vigilant! Here are 2 great articles I found for you:
http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellapoultry/
http://www.cdc.gov/features/SalmonellaChicken/index.html
Also, you can pasteurize your own eggs so that they are safe while being stored in your fridge. No idea what the rules are, but I'm sure you can google.

I should say: salmonella lives in their poop. So eggs with poop on them are more prone, but that doesn't mean eggs without visible poop are less prone. The chickens feet, feathers and beak may have come into contact with poop. If you step in their poop your shoes track salmonella the rest of the day potentially. And while butchering chickens, don't snip an intestine! Go slow. The risk is always there. Safe food handling is of utmost importance. After you butcher make sure a chicken quickly reaches a safe low temperature in an ice bath, then properly store the chicken. You can prevent contamination.

Thank you so very much. My common sense dictated that what you said is true, but you're correct that it's scary now. I guess that's part of the journey. Anyways, once again thanks so much for sharing your experience and common sense.
Kind Regards,
Patti Meadows

Back
Top Bottom