Same problem in four ducks now

Adolfus Nile

Chirping
Jan 12, 2023
I've had four ducks over the course of a year and a half now with what appears to be the same problem. This is four ducks out of about 15. The first duck died, the second duck appeared to be eggbound and i gave it calcium gluconate which had it lay an egg and she was all better. The third duck died within a few hours of noticing the problem. Tonight another duck has the same problem. The ducks exhibit all of these symptoms

• The duck is slow to respond and unable to run away from me, walks slowly
  • The duck's quack is hoarse
  • The duck appears dazed
  • the tailfeathers are flared out and the wings are often being used to hold up the duck
  • the duck eventually becomes unable to hold up its head
Ive been unable to figure out what causes this problem. The success with one of the ducks with calcium gluconate was very promising as the problem seemed to be the same and was solved. The only thing I did differently today was I broke open a handful of pumpkins and gave them a bunch of lettucy scraps before I left town to attend thanksgiving. The duck was slow and had a hoarse quack when I got back probably 5 hours later. It's late at night now and im sure she'll be dead before I'm even up tomorrow. At this point shes too weak to even eat or drink. When i initially got home the first thing i did was make her drink but now she seems unable.

The last duck that died of this had a dirty vent when she died and a bloated stomach. The ducks have a large yard to run, is it possible that they need more grit? Really lost with this problem

I've had four ducks over the course of a year and a half now with what appears to be the same problem. This is four ducks out of about 15. The first duck died, the second duck appeared to be eggbound and i gave it calcium gluconate which had it lay an egg and she was all better. The third duck died within a few hours of noticing the problem. Tonight another duck has the same problem. The ducks exhibit all of these symptoms

• The duck is slow to respond and unable to run away from me, walks slowly
  • The duck's quack is hoarse
  • The duck appears dazed
  • the tailfeathers are flared out and the wings are often being used to hold up the duck
  • the duck eventually becomes unable to hold up its head
Ive been unable to figure out what causes this problem. The success with one of the ducks with calcium gluconate was very promising as the problem seemed to be the same and was solved. The only thing I did differently today was I broke open a handful of pumpkins and gave them a bunch of lettucy scraps before I left town to attend thanksgiving. The duck was slow and had a hoarse quack when I got back probably 5 hours later. It's late at night now and im sure she'll be dead before I'm even up tomorrow. At this point shes too weak to even eat or drink. When i initially got home the first thing i did was make her drink but now she seems unable.

The last duck that died of this had a dirty vent when she died and a bloated stomach. The ducks have a large yard to run, is it possible that they need more grit? Really lost with this problem
I am sorry your ducks are experiencing this. It is really sad when a duck sickens and dies (I had one die unexpectedly in October.) It sounds lto me ike your ducks could be ingesting something toxic.

Please check everywhere the ducks have access.

I am sorry your ducks are experiencing this. It is really sad when a duck sickens and dies (I had one die unexpectedly in October.) It sounds lto me ike your ducks could be ingesting something toxic.

Please check everywhere the ducks have access.
I will be keeping a close eye out. I think you have to be right.

Are you able to get food grade charcoal ?
It doesn’t help with everything but does help with them eating some toxic stuff
I keep a bottle in my medical kit
How is she this morning ?
@Miss Lydia
She actually died shortly after i made this post last night. I noticed she was acting off around 745pm and she was dead by 1030. I can probably get food grade charcoal to keep on hand. I'll be at rural king today maybe they'll have it

She actually died shortly after i made this post last night. I noticed she was acting off around 745pm and she was dead by 1030. I can probably get food grade charcoal to keep on hand. I'll be at rural king today maybe they'll have it
Walmart or most pharmacies carry it
Must be something in your yard they get into
There are lists of plants / trees ect that are toxic to ducks
Also medals in ground
Screws , money ,nails ect
I had a duck die from eating a penny
I don’t have Pennie’s but one must have been deep in the ground from long ago
My girl died within a few hours as well
I did rush her to the vet but she died on the table only mins after getting there
We did have an autopsy done and they found the penny in her stomach
Sometimes there are things in the ground we can’t control as we don’t know they are there
Im
So sorry you lost her :(

@Miss Lydia will be on later
She may have the links to toxic plants and charcoal dosing

Walmart or most pharmacies carry it
Must be something in your yard they get into
There are lists of plants / trees ect that are toxic to ducks
Also medals in ground
Screws , money ,nails ect
I had a duck die from eating a penny
I don’t have Pennie’s but one must have been deep in the ground from long ago
My girl died within a few hours as well
I did rush her to the vet but she died on the table only mins after getting there
We did have an autopsy done and they found the penny in her stomach
Sometimes there are things in the ground we can’t control as we don’t know they are there
Im
So sorry you lost her :(

@Miss Lydia will be on later
She may have the links to toxic plants and charcoal dosing
I think its very possible that a screw or a piece of plastic or something could have gotten into the yard. I find stuff like that all the time

Most pharmacies carry it in the antacid section.

Very sorry you lost her.

Back
Top Bottom