Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hello, my Silver Appleyard drake duck is not doing very well. in the last couple months, I have already lost two female duck that had some of the same symptoms as what my drake duck “Ducky” has… his symptoms are runny nose and eyes ( his eyes watered enough yesterday that his face was all crusty last night) and very thirsty. By the time my other ducks were showing symptoms one died within a couple hours the other one died within a week of showing. He is still eating and drinking fine right now. Any ideas what wrong with him and what I could do to help him?

Thank you
E25CEEED-E374-474C-A758-81A31F030DCB.jpeg

F57EDD47-D898-4EE9-8586-81E169F22051.jpeg

What have you done for him? any meds? any chance of a vet visit? Since he is sick he should be inside where he can stay warm not by a heating element but in a room that is not freezing since he may have fever. Please answer the questions. and also do you have any antibiotics human or animal?
sounds like a respiratory illness

What have you done for him? any meds? any chance of a vet visit? Since he is sick he should be inside where he can stay warm not by a heating element but in a room that is not freezing since he may have fever. Please answer the questions. and also do you have any antibiotics human or animal?
sounds like a respiratory illness
I have been trying to get them more fresh veggies and dried herbs like thyme, oregano, rosemary and basil. And trying to keep him clean too. No meds right now. I finally found a vet in my area that treats ducks. The earliest appointment I could get was Monday at 2pm. I can’t afford much but they said it would be $50 to look at him, so I will start with that. I hope it won’t be too late for him. He is my first and favorite duck. I don’t know if I have any antibiotics.

Have a small bowl of herbal tea and extracts to give him by itself, so you know he is drinking some. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. I crush this and put it in their water. A clove (small piece, not a whole head) apple cider vinegar with the mother (grainy cloudy parts) like Bragg's ( one capful per gallon of water ) are good for a nutrition boost and to help the gut biome. Rosemary and mint and mullein are both respiratory herbs. Thyme is good to add. Make a tea and add it to his water. Look up how to render fresh or dried herbs into a tea, so you get the most bang for your effort. Add the garlic and ACV after your tea has cooled.

I had a newly hatched duck with the wheeze and sniffles/sneezes and nasal drainage that I got turned around with my "voodoo juice".

if you want to forage for mullein this time of year, it likes hotter areas of poor soil (the edges of the train track gravel behind my house) Winter the bloom stalks are the giveaway. About an inch in diameter and 6+ feet straight up with a nubbly texture. You should be able to salvage a few fuzzy leaves and make those into a tea.
These items are all fairly inexpensive and/or free.

Best of hope for Ducky. It is scary to have a sick friend. Do your best for him.

I mix dried Greek Oregano into my flocks feed daily it is a natural antibiotic also, and ACV with mother is really good too as was mentioned. I use it a couple times a week in my flocks water buckets.

I mix dried Greek Oregano into my flocks feed daily it is a natural antibiotic also, and ACV with mother is really good too as was mentioned. I use it a couple times a week in my flocks water buckets.
I already put the oregano in their food every day and I’ve used the ACV but not consistently. I will try it again.

Back
Top Bottom