Sand for my coop & run??

Karen711

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Sechelt, B.C.
I am going to be a first time chicken keeper. After all the reading I have been doing I think I am going to go for sand in both the coop & run. Seems to be the easiest way to keep both the coop & run the cleanest by just scooping. Is this good idea??
:)

Couple more tips. Bags of sand tend to have a lot of moisture. Before adding sand to my coop, I spread the sand out over my drive way and let it dry out for a few hours. Occasionally, if my hens haven't been venturing out much do to weather, the moisture load will start to build up inside. I just toss a few scoops of SweetPDZ in and mix it around in the sand. It absorbs moisture and eliminates odor. Lastly, get yourself a Dura Fork and wrap it in 1/8" hardware cloth. It works great for sifting out the solid waist.

Good Luck.

I've used either sand or fine pea gravel for years and they both work very good as they drain quickly and are easy to clean. Just be sure and use a coarse river sand and not fine beach sand which can impact chicks' crops.

Yep, washed construction grade sand for chicken coop and run is the absolute best!
thumbsup.gif

• Natural grit
  • Excellent dust bath material
  • Excellent next box material
  • No impact crop from ingesting straw & hay
  • Great drainage
  • Dries super quick
  • Dry sand = no bugs, bacteria, fungus
  • Retains heat in winter
  • Cools coop in summer
  • Easy to "scoop" poo
  • Clean feet & nails
  • No "mud ball" toes

Sand is all that I have ever used.

Pictures are located in the "My Coop" tab

Last edited:
Awsome info thanks sooooo much. I will get some to have on hand and the rake as well.
Can't wait to get my chicks just to exciting!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom