Sand for my coop & run??

Karen711

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Sechelt, B.C.
I am going to be a first time chicken keeper. After all the reading I have been doing I think I am going to go for sand in both the coop & run. Seems to be the easiest way to keep both the coop & run the cleanest by just scooping. Is this good idea??
:)

I've used either sand or fine pea gravel for years and they both work very good as they drain quickly and are easy to clean. Just be sure and use a coarse river sand and not fine beach sand which can impact chicks' crops.

Yep, washed construction grade sand for chicken coop and run is the absolute best!
thumbsup.gif

• Natural grit
  • Excellent dust bath material
  • Excellent next box material
  • No impact crop from ingesting straw & hay
  • Great drainage
  • Dries super quick
  • Dry sand = no bugs, bacteria, fungus
  • Retains heat in winter
  • Cools coop in summer
  • Easy to "scoop" poo
  • Clean feet & nails
  • No "mud ball" toes

Sand is all that I have ever used.

Pictures are located in the "My Coop" tab

Last edited:
Couple more tips. Bags of sand tend to have a lot of moisture. Before adding sand to my coop, I spread the sand out over my drive way and let it dry out for a few hours. Occasionally, if my hens haven't been venturing out much do to weather, the moisture load will start to build up inside. I just toss a few scoops of SweetPDZ in and mix it around in the sand. It absorbs moisture and eliminates odor. Lastly, get yourself a Dura Fork and wrap it in 1/8" hardware cloth. It works great for sifting out the solid waist.

Good Luck.

Awsome info thanks sooooo much. I will get some to have on hand and the rake as well.
Can't wait to get my chicks just to exciting!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom