Saved a duckling.. now what do I do

amyfamily

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
We saved a baby duck today (at least I consider it saving lol). We were at a creek and a mom and a child came down. Dropped it in the water and left. I knew that it didn't stand a chance there alone! It didn't even move from the spot she dropped him in the water. Then some other older boys there tried to throw rocks at it! So we brought it home with us. (we have chickens and live on a ranch with a pond, so eventually it can transition there) It hasn't left my son's side since we got it home. I don't know how to post a pic but it looks possibly a month old. It is a chocolate brown with a little yellow on the tip of its wings. I read that I can feed it the chick starter feed. Our chicks are about the same age as the duckling looks. Can I get them used to each other somehow? Thanks!!

WelcometoBYC.gif
. Congrats on saving the duckling! It will have a much better life with you. Sounds like it could be a Khaki Campbell. Yes they can have chick starter but they do require more Niacin than chicks. I think overtime you could get the duckling accustomed to chickens.

Congrats on your duckling! I got mine when some teen boys slowed down while driving by my yard, told me they had done a bad thing, kidnapped a duckling, and now couldn't find the mother. I asked if they had it in the truck (I was looking for a yes or no, guys) and they opened the door and let it out! Much chasing ensured.

I've had Snuggles 5 years as of Tuesday. Since I am allergic to everything from dogs to birds, it's a miracle. I had a sparrow for 4 months once. No allergies but the vet said she was illegal and confiscated her.

I wouldn't want to argue with seasoned duck raisers, especially as I don't come here often, but I was told chick starter shouldn't be fed to ducks (or at least not a lot) as it is medicated, and you need unmedicated duck starter.

Anyway, I hope you and the duck as as happy as Snuggles and I am. (I got her a pet bunny, but I'm allergic to the bunny. they are sharing a room. thankfully bunny knows who is boss. And Snuggles is now nesting in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. Her egg is fake (we took the real ones) but she I have seen her nest on no egg at all. took me a day to figure out what was going on.)

Thank you for saving that poor duckling!!!!!!!! That poor thing! I wish it could have thrown some of those rocks right back at those boys! I do not understand ho some humans can be so cruel. I have read several postings on this website referring to individuals who have chickens and ducks, so I am sure there is some way for you to integrate the two. You could try using the search line above to find some of these older posts as I think they would prove very helpful to you.

Again, thanks for being a better person than those other folks! It sounds like you were at the perfect place, at the perfect time.
thumbsup.gif
You are a duckie hero!!!

I have chickens and ducks, and I had a single duckling grow up with a batch of my chicks. Just put him right in the brooder with them, watched for a bit to make sure all was well, and that was that. Now he actually likes to hang out with the chickens sometimes instead of his ducky friends! Every day he spends time with his surrogate siblings before heading back to hang with the other ducks around the pool. They really don't mind each other, usually. Chick starter is fine for them as long as it's not medicated, but, as kevin said, the duckling will need more niacin than the chicks do. Do you have any pictures of your new ducky?

Edited to add that the chicks weren't baby babies when I put them together. The oldest birds were already a month and a half, and the duckling was close to a month. There was no fighting or attacking whatsoever. So I would suggest to just try putting them together and see what happens. Your duckling might appreciate the company. A word of warning though - the duckling is gonna be MUCH messier than your chicks. She will spill the water, get the food wet and soil the water she doesn't spill with food, and generally make a big mess. It's what they do :p And you should consider perhaps getting her another ducky friend. They're happier with company of their own kind, even if they do like the chickens like my boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom