Saved chick from near drowning today!!

ChknObsessedANG

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
Moorestown, NJ
We have 5 Buff-Laced Polish Frizzle chicks, 7 weeks old, along with the rest of our flock. Its rainy and gross today, so haven't been out much, but I did go out during a rain break to check the flock and see what they were up to on the boring, rainy day. I couldn't find one chick...which isn't unusual since they often go under our privacy fence, but always come back. I waited a bit and watched for the last chick. It never returned, so I eventually went to the other side of the fence and came up empty handed. I went to "Surro-Mom" Abby and asked how she lost one of her babies...and that is when I saw it floating in the swimming pool!! I kicked off my heels, and ran into the pool yard, got down on my knees and rescued the baby!! She was SOAKED, unconscious, and not breathing...but warm body temp and moved a little. I dried her with my shirt and rubbed her nostrils and mouth off good...she opened her mouth and got a big breath! Phew. So, wrapped her in my shirt and then a towel. She began breathing small breaths thru her mouth off and on while I got the "sick" cage ready with fresh wood chips and heat lamp. I held her for a bit, and she regained consciousness, but was shivering uncontrollably and just laying limp in my hands. I put her under the heat lamp in the cage and let her warm up. Now, 5 hours since I pulled her from the pool, she is dry & warm, standing & chirping, eating & drinking!! I am so relieved!!
Just wanted to share with others who would know my worry for a chicken and my joy that she is ok!!

Wow!
thumbsup.gif
highfive.gif
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom