Saying Goodbye to Dolly

lbgreenfield

Songster
Jul 19, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
We had to say goodbye to our sweet Dolly this morning. She passed away overnight and we found her dead in the coop this morning. She had been sick for about 2 months now. She had lost a lot of weight (her breast bone was really, really protruding), her comb had flopped over and turned light pink, she was having trouble walking, not eating or drinking as much, and was just generally off. After consulting with a few people on BYC, I started treatment with Corid and Valbazen, but last night as I carried her to the coop, I found her vent covered in mites. I was ready to disinfect the coop and all the other chickens plus Dolly this morning with permethrin, but it was too late. I feel absolutely horrible and have been crying all morning. She was in so much pain these past week and really took a turn for the worse over the weekend. We buried her under her favorite tree on our property that she liked to sit under (I couldn't bring myself to do an at-home necropsy or to send her body away). We had adopted her a year ago after her previous owner's flock all got killed by a fox, except Dolly. She was a survivor from the beginning, and I'm just so sad to lose her. I still plan on doing a complete coop/run clean-out and treatment of all areas and remaining flock members.

I just wanted to post a few pictures of her here. I know a lot of folks say that they had the sweetest chicken, but I kid you not, Dolly was literally the sweetest chicken I have ever come across in my life. She'd follow us around, peck at our feet to be picked up, would fall asleep in our lap and in our arms, make happy sounds all the time, loved all kinds of melons, was never in a grumpy mood, and was just happy.

She will be missed by everyone in our family.:hit🌈

Attachments

• Hello Down There.JPG
    Hello Down There.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Dolly's Grave.jpg
    Dolly's Grave.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • Door Dolly.jpg
    Door Dolly.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Nose to Nose.JPG