Scab on Chicks Eye? Possible Peck Injury?

AbigaelR

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2019
Kansas
Hi everyone!!

I recently got a new batch of chicks from Orschlens (they are probably only a week old or less) and my Silver Lace seems to have gotten a scab over/in her eye. Its not fowl pox as I unfortunately have dealt with that before. She is eating, drinking, and seems to be a happy little chick which again is why I don't think its any type of disease. Its in the corner of her left eye and has seemed to spread today. Her eye is watery and she has it slightly squinted. Should I try to pull the scab off and treat with triple antibiotics or just leave it be?? Its so hard to capture a picture of :(
Chicken eye scab.JPG

gotten a scab over/in her eye.

Its in the corner of her left eye and has seemed to spread today. Her eye is watery and she has it slightly squinted. Should I try to pull the scab off
It's very hard to see. Is it like whitish pus or a scab?
Does she seem to be able to see with the eye?
If it's pus, then flush the eye with saline, remove the pus and apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin, you can also use Vetericyn eye gel or plain triple antibiotic ointment.

upload_2019-3-2_14-37-17.png

I think the white is glare on eyeball.
Scab is darker and below eye?
Photo not really high enough res to zoom in clearly.
View attachment 1689732

But, yes... warm saline rinse/wipe then ointments @Wyorp Rock suggested.

@AbigaelR did you figure it out?

Could be :confused: If it's a scab then leave it alone, but do flush the eye and remove any pus.

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for the suggestions and responses. So the white part was not a scab. I put a warm water compress on her eye and it flaked right off. However, her eye has not improved and seems to be getting much worse. Some mornings when I go down its totally crusted over and she cant see out of it. There is also bunch of goo and gunk oozing out. I have been doing a warm water compress twice a day, a saline flush, and then started using eye Vetericyn which seems to have made it worse!! I am starting her on Tylan 50 because at this point it has to be some type of infection :( I feel so bad for her.

She is still eating and drinking fine, over-all just acting like a normal chicken. She is able to blink her third eyelid. I wish I knew how to help her better.

Any other symptoms like sneezing or coughing that could indicate respiratory issues, or does she sound normal? Any chance she might have gotten a foreign body in her eye? I had a pullet who managed to get a pea shell caught under her eyelid. It freaked me out until I managed to gently nudge it out.

Any other symptoms like sneezing or coughing that could indicate respiratory issues, or does she sound normal? Any chance she might have gotten a foreign body in her eye? I had a pullet who managed to get a pea shell caught under her eyelid. It freaked me out until I managed to gently nudge it out.

No other symptoms! A happy little gal. The rest of the flock is %100 healthy and fine too. She has some scabbage and puss in the tear duct corner of her eye but even if I soften the junk with a paper towel is still impossible to pull off without pulling on her eye lid. So if there is something stuck in her eye it would have to be there. I dont want to hurt her eyelid and tear it trying to get that crust out :hmm

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for the suggestions and responses. So the white part was not a scab. I put a warm water compress on her eye and it flaked right off. However, her eye has not improved and seems to be getting much worse. Some mornings when I go down its totally crusted over and she cant see out of it. There is also bunch of goo and gunk oozing out. I have been doing a warm water compress twice a day, a saline flush, and then started using eye Vetericyn which seems to have made it worse!! I am starting her on Tylan 50 because at this point it has to be some type of infection :( I feel so bad for her.

She is still eating and drinking fine, over-all just acting like a normal chicken. She is able to blink her third eyelid. I wish I knew how to help her better.

No other symptoms! A happy little gal. The rest of the flock is %100 healthy and fine too. She has some scabbage and puss in the tear duct corner of her eye but even if I soften the junk with a paper towel is still impossible to pull off without pulling on her eye lid. So if there is something stuck in her eye it would have to be there. I dont want to hurt her eyelid and tear it trying to get that crust out :hmm
Can you post some more photos?
Flushing the eye well is good, you may also want to get some Terramycin eye ointment to put in the eye. You can use plain Neosporin if you can find the Terramycin.

Sometimes you need to press on the surrounding tissue to try to get the gunk out. Chicken pus will not dry up on it's own, it has to be removed.
See if a qtip for removal helps - I would get a bit aggressive with removing the gunk to see if that helps first before starting antibiotics, since she's so tiny and you report she is eating/drinking well and active.

Can you post some more photos?
Flushing the eye well is good, you may also want to get some Terramycin eye ointment to put in the eye. You can use plain Neosporin if you can find the Terramycin.

Sometimes you need to press on the surrounding tissue to try to get the gunk out. Chicken pus will not dry up on it's own, it has to be removed.
See if a qtip for removal helps - I would get a bit aggressive with removing the gunk to see if that helps first before starting antibiotics, since she's so tiny and you report she is eating/drinking well and active.

Okay! I will try to post some more updated pictures tonight! I do have triple antibiotic and Neosporin but Im not sure how well that will help considering how the Vetericyn seems worsen the gunk. Thanks so much. Will try to keep everyone posted.

Back
Top Bottom