Scaled quail with broken leg

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
10 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
Hi everyone! I'm just looking for any extra advice. One of my scaled quail somehow broke her leg between her ankle and knee the other day. She just so happens to be the one who started laying eggs last week so I'm wondering if maybe she got her leg stuck during breeding or something. She's roughly 6 months old. I have her seperated and wrapped her leg with vet wrap. She's eating and drinking, energetic and flighty as usual but is there anything else I should be doing for her and how long should I keep her leg wrapped? I understand it may not heal perfectly but taking her to a vet is out of the question.

20231206_093904.jpg

I would say that as long as she's eating and drinking well, she'll be okay. Keep an eye on her in case she shows any signs of infection, but she looks good otherwise.

Thank you. I have Tylan 200 on hand but she's vet active and seems fine so far. She's constantly hopping up on top of her water jar to get a good vantage point... I wish she would just lay down and heal lol.

I'm thinking maybe about 2 weeks, check her leg and rewrap it if necessary? She's doing a good job of not putting weight on it for now.

I wanted to stop in and give an update. Little Miss has had her leg wrapped for a week now. I've noticed that she's starting to use it more and more now. She still limps dramatically but she's putting a little weight on it. She's still eating and drinking good and still laying eggs. Next Monday, I'm going to catch her, remove the wrapping and physically check her leg.

I never did a final update! After 2 weeks with her leg wrapped, I removed the wrapping. She was still limping but her leg felt solid. It was still pink and a little thicker where the break had been but looked straight and felt strong. I kept her seperated for 1 more week without her leg wrapped and she was doing excellent so when the weather was warm on Christmas Eve, I moved her back out with everyone else. There was a little fussing in the pen as everyone got familiar with everyone else again but now I can't even tell which one she was :)

I never did a final update! After 2 weeks with her leg wrapped, I removed the wrapping. She was still limping but her leg felt solid. It was still pink and a little thicker where the break had been but looked straight and felt strong. I kept her seperated for 1 more week without her leg wrapped and she was doing excellent so when the weather was warm on Christmas Eve, I moved her back out with everyone else. There was a little fussing in the pen as everyone got familiar with everyone else again but now I can't even tell which one she was :)
That's great! I'm glad she healed up so nicely.

Great!!!!

Back
Top Bottom