Scalped by other Hens - Integration gone wrong :(

MeatyCluckers

Chirping
May 22, 2022
My 3 month old pullet made a poor calculation while trying to fly away from one of the older hens got pinned down by the group and scalped - it happened so quickly that by the time I ran outside to intervene the damage was done. The back of her head down to her neck is completely bare. I washed her and applied gauze to stop bleeding, then sprayed with Vetericyn and applied neosporin. She is safely indoors in a dog crate in a quiet room of my house with food and water. She has eaten and had water, but she is mostly just snoozing/snuggling me/standing. She can walk. Her eyes are fine.

This is my very first time with a chicken injury beyond a slightly bloody comb and I'm heartsick that it had to happen to my sweet Trashley, who is the gentlest chicken in the whole world and didn't even try to fight back or defend herself. I will include a photo below but please know it is graphic. This is a couple hours after the attack, with the neosporin applied.

The earliest vet appointment I could get was Saturday (it is Tuesday at time of post). I'm hoping for more advice in the meantime for how best to care for her - I have read many threads and articles and I think I'm doing what's right, but I'm so nervous.
trashley head wound.jpg

your doing things right. did you do a see no touch before intros?
Yes. She has been in an extension of the run that the big hens are in for three weeks. They have also supervised free ranged together briefly (although there wasn't a ton of contact as she preferred to stay close by her run/coop while the big girls explore further). This was in the morning after the first night they shared a coop (which was peaceful, until she tried to flap away and they all mobbed her).

Yes. She has been in an extension of the run that the big hens are in for three weeks. They have also supervised free ranged together briefly (although there wasn't a ton of contact as she preferred to stay close by her run/coop while the big girls explore further). This was in the morning after the first night they shared a coop (which was peaceful, until she tried to flap away and they all mobbed her).
you may have to extend the see no touch interval. when doing intros next try to stay out there awhile. they may also never accept some chickens and those will need a separate pen

you may have to extend the see no touch interval. when doing intros next try to stay out there awhile. they may also never accept some chickens and those will need a separate pen
Truthfully, I'm not sure I can endure another attempt with her. She has a separate coop and run that are attached to the main one so if/when she recovers I may fine a gentle lone hen in need of a companion and maintain two coops/runs.

Poor girl! You're doing excellent on treating her, keep it up!

Is she the only one being integrated?
Yes, she was one of three chicks we got in April, but her two pals were both roosters (which we are not permitted) so they had to find a new home before we had the opportunity to integrate them. I had hoped to include the boys at integration time because they were larger and would put up a fight and I knew she was more docile, but the person taking the roosters asked for them earlier than I expected.

Yes, she was one of three chicks we got in April, but her two pals were both roosters (which we are not permitted) so they had to find a new home before we had the opportunity to integrate them. I had hoped to include the boys at integration time because they were larger and would put up a fight and I knew she was more docile, but the person taking the roosters asked for them earlier than I expected.
Ah, okay. Integrating one chicken can be quite difficult. Much better if you had some more friends for her. Too bad two of the chicks were boys. :hmm
If possible, it may be a good idea to get her a few more friends, and then try and integrate.

Ah, okay. Integrating one chicken can be quite difficult. Much better if you had some more friends for her. Too bad two of the chicks were boys. :hmm
If possible, it may be a good idea to get her a few more friends, and then try and integrate.
Yeah - it didn't go according to plan at all. I'm hoping I can find her a companion when she heals so that even if they can't integrate with my existing flock, she won't be alone.

Yeah - it didn't go according to plan at all. I'm hoping I can find her a companion when she heals so that even if they can't integrate with my existing flock, she won't be alone.
Good idea!
When looking for a companion(s) try to find one(s) about her age, or even younger. Integration between them will be easier.

Back
Top Bottom