Scalped by other Hens - Integration gone wrong :(

Update, it’s been 36 hours since the scalping and Trashley is beginning to show signs of her normal self- perching in her favorite spot (my back). She ate and drank quite a bit and had a few poops (I was concerned about that because she went immediately after I brought her in from the injury (6 am), and then not again until overnight (2x), and then not again until this afternoon. The overnight poops were both bright green but this afternoon they were normal and brown.

I have been continuing to disinfect and coddle her, and I do have a vet apt on Saturday still so in the event that she shows signs of infection or not healing up as quickly as she should, she has that. I’m less panic mode now, but I still know this injury is bad enough that we are not out of the woods.

Would anyone recommend painkillers in this situation (non prescription?). I’ve heard you can use advil or Tylenol in water but she’s only 3 months so I’m not sure if that’s safe and I don’t want to do anything to make anything worse for her.

Attachments

• A0D5E1B9-6DDC-40A8-9F24-97E818C783BB.jpeg
    A0D5E1B9-6DDC-40A8-9F24-97E818C783BB.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 13
Update, it’s been 36 hours since the scalping and Trashley is beginning to show signs of her normal self- perching in her favorite spot (my back). She ate and drank quite a bit and had a few poops (I was concerned about that because she went immediately after I brought her in from the injury (6 am), and then not again until overnight (2x), and then not again until this afternoon. The overnight poops were both bright green but this afternoon they were normal and brown.

I have been continuing to disinfect and coddle her, and I do have a vet apt on Saturday still so in the event that she shows signs of infection or not healing up as quickly as she should, she has that. I’m less panic mode now, but I still know this injury is bad enough that we are not out of the woods.

Would anyone recommend painkillers in this situation (non prescription?). I’ve heard you can use advil or Tylenol in water but she’s only 3 months so I’m not sure if that’s safe and I don’t want to do anything to make anything worse for her.
I say keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about painkillers.
Also make sure she's not near any flies, as they could lay eggs on her wound and cause fly strike, which is quite deadly.

I say keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about painkillers.
Also make sure she's not near any flies, as they could lay eggs on her wound and cause fly strike, which is quite deadly.
She is inside so that she doesn't risk getting dirt or bugs in the wound. She's doing well this morning. She is currently perched on my arm while I work, purring away, and finally starting to do a little preening which she hadn't been doing.

Update! The vet said she’s healing well and she should be able to return outside to her (separate!) coop/run as soon as it isn’t super wet outside. She is really doing so well considering the size of the wound. The vet doesn’t think she’s likely to regain feathers for much of the area so I’m kind of considering getting her a young Turken pullet companion so she feels some kinship 🤣 (jk, but I am keeping my eyes out for local rehomings of 8-10ish week old pullets so she has a companion when she’s outside again full time).

For her part, she’s trying to convince me she should be a house chicken. 🤣 She always was a cuddler, but now she’s a CUDDLER.

Attachments

• IMG_4673.jpeg
    IMG_4673.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 11
Update! The vet said she’s healing well and she should be able to return outside to her (separate!) coop/run as soon as it isn’t super wet outside. She is really doing so well considering the size of the wound. The vet doesn’t think she’s likely to regain feathers for much of the area so I’m kind of considering getting her a young Turken pullet companion so she feels some kinship 🤣 (jk, but I am keeping my eyes out for local rehomings of 8-10ish week old pullets so she has a companion when she’s outside again full time).

For her part, she’s trying to convince me she should be a house chicken. 🤣 She always was a cuddler, but now she’s a CUDDLER.
Aww, that's great! So glad she's doing well!

My 3 month old pullet made a poor calculation while trying to fly away from one of the older hens got pinned down by the group and scalped - it happened so quickly that by the time I ran outside to intervene the damage was done. The back of her head down to her neck is completely bare. I washed her and applied gauze to stop bleeding, then sprayed with Vetericyn and applied neosporin. She is safely indoors in a dog crate in a quiet room of my house with food and water. She has eaten and had water, but she is mostly just snoozing/snuggling me/standing. She can walk. Her eyes are fine.

This is my very first time with a chicken injury beyond a slightly bloody comb and I'm heartsick that it had to happen to my sweet Trashley, who is the gentlest chicken in the whole world and didn't even try to fight back or defend herself. I will include a photo below but please know it is graphic. This is a couple hours after the attack, with the neosporin applied.

The earliest vet appointment I could get was Saturday (it is Tuesday at time of post). I'm hoping for more advice in the meantime for how best to care for her - I have read many threads and articles and I think I'm doing what's right, but I'm so nervous.
View attachment 3573820
My silkie has the same injury after I put cute hair clips in her hair and the others pecked at her so bad they scalped her. Did yours improve? How the heck does it when heal being to the skull? Mine is lethargic and Im having to give her electrolytes through a syringe: she won’t initiate drinking in her own 😞

My silkie has the same injury after I put cute hair clips in her hair and the others pecked at her so bad they scalped her. Did yours improve? How the heck does it when heal being to the skull? Mine is lethargic and Im having to give her electrolytes through a syringe: she won’t initiate drinking in her own 😞
Welcome to BYC!

So sorry about your Silkie. :hugs
When did that happen?

@MeatyCluckers hen I'm sure is doing well now and healing up nicely! See their last post in this thread.

Trashley is doing well - it's been two weeks now, and her wound has scabbed over. The first 24 hours was the scariest. She didn't eat or drink very much during that window, but her appetite returned after some R&R inside. She is back outside (separate run/coop) now, and is back to her normal self! I think the key is to keep the wound disinfected, keep her clean and indoors for as long as feels okay to you both (Trashley was inside for a little over a week), and patience. I'm not quite sure how they heal from these types of injuries, but she is! I really hope your silkie recovers well, too. <3 It's so scary.

Trashley is doing well - it's been two weeks now, and her wound has scabbed over. The first 24 hours was the scariest. She didn't eat or drink very much during that window, but her appetite returned after some R&R inside. She is back outside (separate run/coop) now, and is back to her normal self! I think the key is to keep the wound disinfected, keep her clean and indoors for as long as feels okay to you both (Trashley was inside for a little over a week), and patience. I'm not quite sure how they heal from these types of injuries, but she is! I really hope your silkie recovers well, too. <3 It's so scary.
Update: Trashley got a new buddy (well actually two new buddies). This one had the same thing happen to her at another flock and now they can heal together! So far integration is going well, just some minor territorialism around the roost, but that’s to be expected - they’re all coexisting peacefully in the little misfit coop. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5673.jpeg
    IMG_5673.jpeg
    958.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom