Scaly Leg Mites......grab your coffee, you'll be here a minute

65browneyes

Songster
12 Years
Mar 2, 2007
Arizona
This is not by any means an emergency, but rather a chicken health question.

I have an Ameraucana hen who I thought had hurt her leg when we got her. But, as time has passed and she has continued to hang out in the hen house, obviously with painful legs, I've come to the idea she may have scaly leg mites. I've not been able to find a good picture representing the effect of the mites on a chicken's legs. I've asked several people if they agree. Seems few people around here have seen this affliction.

My studies have produced the idea that oil or a kerosene/oil combination may be the solution. My girls are housed in a 50 year old wood structure and I am reluctant to consider spraying or brushing the roosts and nest boxes down with any flammable liquid in Arizona's heat.

At any rate.......I finally decided I would try mineral oil, I've got some. Search is on. Two years after moving, there are still things we can't find. But, alas, I find a spare jar of vaseline. Why do we need "2" jars of vaseline, I wonder. Oh well, I'll donate jar #2 to the girls, Tootsie specifically.

I greased her legs down good with the vaseline over the weekend. Trying to make sure to get the goop under the callouses. I've noticed a big difference in her since. She comes out on her own rather than waiting for me to put her in the dirt, she joins the rest of the flock to eat (still mindful of who's boss), she's walking better.

My mom came over today, and I got Tootsie out to ask her if she'd ever seen this, and was shocked to find most of the biggest callouses are gone. I'm going to bring her up to the house tomorrow, wash her legs good, and apply a fresh coat of vaseline.

So, after all that, my question is............do you all think I was right in my diagnosis, or did I get lucky with the vaseline idea? Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a lot of trouble with scaly mites and tried just about everything. I've used vaseline, vegetable oil and redkote, but in the end I needed to bring in the "big guns." I called around to local vets and asked what to do (this is before I knew about the forum) and of course they all said bring them in. I was scared I was going to be charged an arm and a leg so I didn't. I found a vet in Vermont who was a "chicken expert" and supposedly was cheap so Ibrought my hen in. He charged me $10 and gave her a dose of ivomec. He instructed to give the same treatment to the rest of the flock. This stuff is a bit extreme but worked great. I couldn't eat any eggs for a while though. Scaly leg mites are a horrible thing to get rid of.

A good coating of vaseline every few days is an appropriate treatment for leg mites.

Glad to hear it's working for you!

smile.png

Sandy

you can also use camphophenique for really bad infestations..apply to the feet and legs for about 2 weeks or use Vicks Vapo rub or the generic version will work. After the 2 weeks (or 3 for really bad cases) use a good Vit E lotion and apply to the feet and legs to rehydrate. You can repeat if necessary.

I'm w/cooter on this one. My roo had a case of scaly leg and it was getting ugly. I read on another web page to use the campho. I only had a flock of 6 @ the time so I treated all of them. I washed all of their legs with dish soap and used a syringe(without the needle) to apply the campho. Try to get their legs upside down so that the oil will roll under the scales. I had tried the vaseline prior to this and it was working, but it was increadibly messy, hard to get under the scales and was gonna have to treat a dozen times. Two treatments with the campho and it was GONE. It don't think it will interfere with the eggs, its easy, fast and works wonders. I would recomend this treatment to any one.
Try it you'll be glad you did. Oh and the cost is low.

Oh, Duh! I just realized I posted this in the wrong area, should have put it in "Diseases". Told DH I was looking forward to school getting out for the summer, 'cuz I'm getting tired. This is just one more example of that. Sorry, folks!

I put vegatable oil or mineral oil on all new chickens I get.
I put it in a container that the whole leg will fit into. Either DH or GD will hold the chicken & I put their whole leg into the oil. I hold it there until the leg is completely coated & then do the other leg. We do this every couple of days until they are healed.
I do this even if there is no evidence of scaly leg on all new chickens.

This is just what we do here. Has worked well for us.

Jean

I found that mineral oil mixed with tea tree oil works great too. I agree about brushing a wood building down with flamable stuff. I use Orange guard to spray everything down. Its all natural, and smells great. I found it at Ace Hardware, and Chaimberlins health food store.

Glad to hear your girl is doing so well so quickly!

Shannon

Back
Top Bottom