Scared to start chickens!

bethtista

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2015
HI I'm Beth.
Bought a house with a coop. been excited to put chickens in said coop. Have all the stuff ready just nervous about, well everything! Glad there is a website like this one for when I screw up lol.
Beth

HI I'm Beth.
Bought a house with a coop. been excited to put chickens in said coop. Have all the stuff ready just nervous about, well everything! Glad there is a website like this one for when I screw up lol.
Beth

What an exciting time - is there anything specific you are particularly nervous about or just the whole thing being a bit overwhelming right now? You have definitely come to the right place - glad to have you join the flock and hope you will make yourself at home. The Learning Center here at BYC is a terrific place to start building your store of knowledge that will help you make the upcoming adventure seem a little less scary.

Welcome! Just remember chickens need shelter, food, and water, and depending on their age, heat. Within a few months, I'm sure you will have gained lots of confidence and knowledge.

I'm most nervous about the chicks. I think for a brooder we are just going to go with a plastic tub, its nice size but in my mind even though i'm only going to get 20-30 chicks that they should have more room like the coop lol. Its a very large tub! Also I'm in North Dakota and am thinking of ordering from welp or ideal but I've heard storys were some were shipped and not packaged for cold weather and all the chicks were dead. I'm also worried that I'm going to kill them all. i'm just overwhelmed i guess thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Good luck with your future chicks! Raising chickens can seem a little daunting at first, but it is actually rather easy and enjoyable.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It may seem daunting when you first begin with chickens, but they aren't as hard as they might sound. Chickens are remarkably hardy creatures, even as chicks, that can survive such things as predator attacks and wrong temperatures rather easily. Don't worry too much! You'll really enjoy your birds.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom