Scissorbeak?

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I deal with scissorbeak every now and then in my silkies.Has anyone done reserch in there own flock over a period of time to see if its genetic or something else or s combination of things.Most of my chicks are hatched under a broody in spring and early summer.Do u think it is passed on thru the rooster or hen or both?Thanks for any input

Scissor beak does have several causes. It can be genetics, incubation conditions, nutritional deficiencies or an accident as a chick. I’d guess yours is genetics. It is generally discouraged to breed from scissor beaked birds if you don’t know what caused it, if the parents don’t have it it’s possible their parents did. But what do you feed them?

Scissor beak does have several causes. It can be genetics, incubation conditions, nutritional deficiencies or an accident as a chick. I’d guess yours is genetics. It is generally discouraged to breed from scissor beaked birds if you don’t know what caused it, if the parents don’t have it it’s possible their parents did. But what do you feed them?
They get Nutrina high protien during winter then when I start hatching and gave so many chicks everyone gets start and grow with free access to ouster shell.Plus they get vit with electrolytes added to the water.Before hatching time I also add Biotin to the feed.

They get Nutrina high protien during winter then when I start hatching and gave so many chicks everyone gets start and grow with free access to ouster shell.Plus they get vit with electrolytes added to the water.Before hatching time I also add Biotin to the feed.

Probably genetics. You may want to change your parent stock or stop breeding from them

They get Nutrina high protien during winter then when I start hatching and gave so many chicks everyone gets start and grow with free access to ouster shell.Plus they get vit with electrolytes added to the water.Before hatching time I also add Biotin,and vit E plus Selenium to the feed.

Is there anything you can do to help the severity while they are young? I too am seeing them in Silkies. Both of mine were hatched from quality chicken breeders, so hoping it wasn’t a known genetic breeding. I’m finding homes for mine as I do not want it in my line of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom