Sebright not using the nest box, how can I get her to do so?

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I have standards and bantams. My sebright was the only bantam that was laying last fall. But she rarely laid in the nest box. Most eggs were in one of the coop corners. It was searching for a needle in a haystack. Which she would lay 3-4 eggs a week. Do you have different sized boxes for bantams? Or can I fix this, and get her to use one of the nest boxes? This would be preferred. I don't think hubby would like to build different sized nest boxes. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have standards and bantams. My sebright was the only bantam that was laying last fall. But she rarely laid in the nest box. Most eggs were in one of the coop corners. It was searching for a needle in a haystack. Which she would lay 3-4 eggs a week. Do you have different sized boxes for bantams? Or can I fix this, and get her to use one of the nest boxes? This would be preferred. I don't think hubby would like to build different sized nest boxes. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

How many birds do you have and how many nest boxes? Where does your Sebright fit in the pecking order of your flock?

ETA - no different sized boxes are not necessary.

Last edited:
Well, right now we have 13 birds, 1 rooster. But last fall only 5 were laying and 6 were chicks. At the time she was not at the bottom of the whole flock, but I'd say of the birds that were laying she was at the bottom. I only have 2 nest boxes currently, 2 more are built but have not been put into place yet due to the winter/molt drop in laying. She of course is no longer laying.
How many birds do you have and how many nest boxes? Where does your Sebright fit in the pecking order of your flock?

ETA - no different sized boxes are not necessary.

Being at the bottom of the pecking order of the laying birds and having two boxes that are presumably right next to each other may have left her subject to not feeling confident enough to use a box. One thing I might consider is to install the new boxes a little away from the other boxes so that there are two areas that the birds can go to and that can help to lessen the "control" of the boxes by the more dominant hen(s) (similar to having more than one litter box in more than one location can be helpful in multi-cat households)

Being at the bottom of the pecking order of the laying birds and having two boxes that are presumably right next to each other may have left her subject to not feeling confident enough to use a box. One thing I might consider is to install the new boxes a little away from the other boxes so that there are two areas that the birds can go to and that can help to lessen the "control" of the boxes by the more dominant hen(s) (similar to having more than one litter box in more than one location can be helpful in multi-cat households)

thanks! I'll probably put them on the other end of the coop this spring.

Back
Top Bottom