Secret Nest is Now Out of Bounds - What Can I Do?

Frankielou93

Hatching
May 4, 2021
My four ex-batts have been with me for a little over a month now, in that time they've started roaming and it's been lovely to see them build their confidence.

Bit of background; I live on a rural lane and one of my neighbours also has chickens who have always been free range. So I didn't think things would be any different for my girls. Anyway, a few weeks in and another neighbour has complained and asked us to keep our chickens in from now on - turns out mine have been quite inquisitive in their new surroundings and have been helping themselves to their flower pots - not ideal!

During these weeks of wandering however, we realised our smallest bird has started laying in an old suitcase in some nearby undergrowth. No matter what, she lays there every day and I can't seem to coax her into the nesting box. To note, she laid in the nesting box before she started roaming it's only since that she found somewhere better! When they were going to be out all the time I didn't really mind, I knew where to look and it wasn't hurting anyone. That's had to change now following my neighbour's complaint, and we've built an enclosure for the chickens at the end of the garden - not the free roaming I would want but still plenty of space for them to explore and be happy.

Day one of the enclosure and our secret egg layer has managed to find her way out so she can lay in her hiding place. I found her looking through the gate at the others trying to get back in but clearly not knowing how she got out! Aside from trying to work out how on Earth she got out, is there anything I could do?! Do I bring the suitcase into the enclosure or try something else? I just don't want to stress her out and have her not laying if she can't get to it. Thanks!

The area is fenced off and they are free to roam in the day (as they would if they had the whole lane to themselves as they did before) at night they are in their coop so away from harm. Thanks, might try to salvage the suitcase!

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
See I thought that was a good idea but was worried they would feel stressed being so confined but I know it's for the greater good! Really helpful, thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom