Seed Exchange 2015

I guess there is a difference between me buying from the UK and them only coming from Canada to the US

all agricultural products going over international borders are supposed to be inspected to prevent the transfer of diseases etc.. according to the letter I got last time

I got the seeds on the second try ;)

I will likely do tomatoes in mine instead of in the garden. Our ground is plagued with blight.

Had blight here also a few years ago BAD! First time I ever saw it. I had tons of beautiful plants, as soon as the maters started the next day the plants were completely black! It might not be the best stuff but I've been using 'organic' Southern AG brand liquid copper fungicide.I haven't lost any to blight since. I lost the instructions on it so I have to look it up online but i think one pint of the concentrate makes fifty gallons. I got it from either home depot or lowes. I bought just a spray bottle at our local feed mill ready made but it doesn't go very far when you have a fifty foot row of tomatoes. The concentrate is only a couple dollars more. I usualy grow early girl but I'm switching to open pollinated seeds from 'Totally Tomatoes'. I like early tomatoes so I I ordered Alaskan Fancy determinate plums, and indeterminate Bloody Butcher, both 55days. I am planting them separately so I can save the seed.

A good percentage of tomatoes in my state... if not all of New England were hit with early blight a couple of years ago, as were mine. The past few years, I've grown my tomatoes in my green house. Last summer, because of the intense heat, and the fact that the plastic on the green house was deteriorating and needing to be replaced, I cut it, creating a 24" high window effect that started about 3' off the ground. then, there were some tomatoes planted to the north of the green house, with pole beans to the north of them, so that crop was protected from breezes from 2 directions. No problems with blight either year. So, my conclusion is that if you provide a heavy mulch, and prevent breezes from blowing across your tomatoes, that will go a long way towards preventing blight. I'm also thinking that a foliar spray with compost tea would be beneficial. There are foliar sprays now which cost a pretty penny. They basically inoculate the leaf surface with beneficial organisms so the disease organisms can't get a foot hold.

The spray sounds like it could be replaced by leaf feeding with compost tea possible. I had a small amount of an orange blight on some of my tomatoes last year I just need to increase ventilation, but that's my experience. Also I do happen to leaf feed with compost or manure tea.

Last edited:
Quote: Good luck in all your endeavors with your new home and garden. I know it is not easy to live in a home while doing construction on it.
big_smile.png

The spray sounds like it could be replaced by leaf feeding with compost tea possible. I had a small amount of an orange blight on some of my tomatoes last year I just need to increase ventilation, but that's my experience. Also I do happen to leaf feed with compost or manure tea.
Do you make the manure tea the same way you do the compost tea and what kind of manure do you use?

Yes, I personally use a mix of compost and green chicken manure and aged cow manure.
I put it all in a burlap sack tired up and cover it with water and let it soak until it's stinky... The green chicken manure really gets things going quick.

Yes, I personally use a mix of compost and green chicken manure and aged cow manure.
I put it all in a burlap sack tired up and cover it with water and let it soak until it's stinky... The green chicken manure really gets things going quick.
I seriously got chickens just so I could make tea with their crap. Now that I have them I love them, but I laugh when I think back on my original motivation.

Back
Top Bottom