Seeds for foraging chickens for zone 7b

domikin

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
I just acquired a large sunny pasture that was used for horses and cows. It might be used for that in the future so I wanted to plant something that would be kind of universal for the chickens and farm animals that would be coming later.

We have 30 chicks on the way(all females), some bantam silkies, light brahmas and easter eggers and will be getting more as it has a huge coop. The existing run is not that big at all and since we have a 10+ acre pasture I would like to plant something and have them range.

Most forage blends I see contain mostly clover and I have read that it contains blood thinners if eating too much of and flax which is bad for horses. I was thinking of a mixture of alfalfa with some clover and planted a right good amount of sunflowers as well.

Also, at what age should I allow them out and into the pasture?

My pastures are mostly grass mixes and weeds. The chickens are after bugs mostly with some weed seeds and grasses being consumed. Mine are allowed to range at about 8 weeks on, though they don't usually go far until they are 6-12 months or older.

Ranging chickens will attract predators. Once they know where you are at they will keep coming, so having a plan about how to manage that will be needed.

The previous owner said there were coyotes and deer several years ago but hasn't seen any since. There are also 2 chickens that flew the coop and have been fending for themselves for a year so I'm guessing the bugs are plentiful. I'm more concerned with hawks and birds of prey.

It's outside of city limits so I only have to deal with county ordinances on protecting the flock from predators.

... I'm more concerned with hawks and birds of prey.

As you should be with silkies. Sitting ducks for hawks.
You may have a lot of broody hens with that mix.
If you want permanent pasture, clover, alfalfa, ladino are good. If planting seasonally, I like peas in winter, buckwheat in summer and things like forage type turnips, radish, beets, etc..

The things that chickens relish the most are Hen Bit, & Chick Weed (for the foliage) Buck Grass, Dallas Grass, and Coastal Bermuda, for the seeds. These are not going to make satisfactory grazing for livestock with the exception of Coastal Bermuda. One problem is that you neglected to fill in your location and in some states (like the Mid-West) it may be illegal for you to plant Coastal Bermuda and/or Buck Grass because it is considered an invasive species. The same may be true for Yellow and Ball Clover.

Back
Top Bottom