Seeking advice for three issues

Peoples

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2017
East Tennessee
Hello I have a small flock of 6. I raise for eggs and consider them pets. So with that in mind as pets I I want to do everything for quality of life and address health issues where I can. I am in middle of treating bumble foot, just had to start dewormer for round worm when I notice they are starting to show signs of second round of respiratory infection. (About month ago) was first outbreak and was given tylan. The vet first time gave tylan for all. Second round started vet said seperate a few days and gave one bird another round but would not for all birds. Well today during foot bath soak noticed clear snot on another. Am worried the vet will start to think I am a hypochondriac when I call Monday to ask for second round of anti biotic again. Is there anything over the counter I can get? I would imagine with all three issues they are immune compromised. Any advice would be great! Feels like last month has been one thing after another. And surely chickens are over me fussing over them and would like to be left to do chicken things.

What were the symptoms the first time they had respiratory problems? Did you see any bubbles or foam in either eye, or swollen faces? Did the symptoms clear right away with Tylan? Some respiratory symptoms can be from viruses instead of mycoplasma or other bacterial diseases, and some can be from mold fungus or just environmental causes (dust, pollen, poor ventilation.) A respiratory disease that is viral, such as infectious bronchitis virus, can last for a month or so, and does not respond to antibiotics. As long as clear nasal drainage is all you are seeing, I would hold off on antibiotics and give it some time to clear up. If there is labored breathing, gasping, and lethargy, then that might be a sign of worsening. It can be good to close your flock for the next year, and if testing is ever a possibility, you can try and find out what you r are dealing with. Zoologix lab in CA can do testing for 8 different respiratory diseases on a sick chicken with symptoms. They send you materials to get swabs of throat or nostrils, and you mail them back for testing. Your vet or state vet might also do that, but some diseases are reportable. In certain states they may want you to cull birds with some diseases. Hopefully, this is just a virus and nothing too serious.

What were the symptoms the first time they had respiratory problems? Did you see any bubbles or foam in either eye, or swollen faces? Did the symptoms clear right away with Tylan? Some respiratory symptoms can be from viruses instead of mycoplasma or other bacterial diseases, and some can be from mold fungus or just environmental causes (dust, pollen, poor ventilation.) A respiratory disease that is viral, such as infectious bronchitis virus, can last for a month or so, and does not respond to antibiotics. As long as clear nasal drainage is all you are seeing, I would hold off on antibiotics and give it some time to clear up. If there is labored breathing, gasping, and lethargy, then that might be a sign of worsening. It can be good to close your flock for the next year, and if testing is ever a possibility, you can try and find out what you r are dealing with. Zoologix lab in CA can do testing for 8 different respiratory diseases on a sick chicken with symptoms. They send you materials to get swabs of throat or nostrils, and you mail them back for testing. Your vet or state vet might also do that, but some diseases are reportable. In certain states they may want you to cull birds with some diseases. Hopefully, this is just a virus and nothing too serious.
First signs of respiratory one chicken showed bubbles in one eye and the other chicken jad clear snot and everybody was shaking heads head often Scratching beaks and some open mouth breathing
And first rounds all cleared up and looked good.

That does sound like mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD.) It can come back if they get stressed, and secondary infections cannlead to air sacculitis. It can pass through hatching eggs to offspring, but eggs are fine to eat and to sell for eating. It is infectious to other birds that may later come into the clock, so good to close your flock until all birds are gone. Some use Denagard for an antibiotic to help prevent outbreaks or to treat one.

That does sound like mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD.) It can come back if they get stressed, and secondary infections cannlead to air sacculitis. It can pass through hatching eggs to offspring, but eggs are fine to eat and to sell for eating. It is infectious to other birds that may later come into the clock, so good to close your flock until all birds are gone. Some use Denagard for an antibiotic to help prevent outbreaks or to treat one.
Jist ordered the denagard. How much and gown often should I give? Does it mix in water or given orally?

Back
Top Bottom