Marek's Cutaneous?

Justme55

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2024
I currently have a flick of 23. Three were added , as rescues, 7 weeks ago. The 3 I took in are Large White French Marans. One Rooster and 2 hens.
I noticed day two the Rooster seemed to walk differently. After close examination his feet looked horrible. I took pictures to two different Vets. One gave an antibacterial soap which I used everyday for 7 days with no improvement. I took pics to a second vet. He did tell me he was not too familiar with chickens but gave me an antibiotic to be taken twice a day for 7 days. It did seem to improve some. Neither Vet suggested Marek's.
His feathers started growing back and the redness improved but are still red and he looks uncomfortable. After reading all I could I came across photos and saw pics that lead me to think it is Marek's Cutaneous. I have not isolated him as I just realized this is probably his problem.
Do I need to isolate him? Is the Cutaneous form contagious? None of the other flock have any signs of any issues. Any suggestions? The photo shown was the start of treatment. His feet look much better but I am still concerned.

IMG_20240224_184550737~2.jpg

I currently have a flick of 23. Three were added , as rescues, 7 weeks ago. The 3 I took in are Large White French Marans. One Rooster and 2 hens.
I noticed day two the Rooster seemed to walk differently. After close examination his feet looked horrible. I took pictures to two different Vets. One gave an antibacterial soap which I used everyday for 7 days with no improvement. I took pics to a second vet. He did tell me he was not too familiar with chickens but gave me an antibiotic to be taken twice a day for 7 days. It did seem to improve some. Neither Vet suggested Marek's.
His feathers started growing back and the redness improved but are still red and he looks uncomfortable. After reading all I could I came across photos and saw pics that lead me to think it is Marek's Cutaneous. I have not isolated him as I just realized this is probably his problem.
Do I need to isolate him? Is the Cutaneous form contagious? None of the other flock have any signs of any issues. Any suggestions? The photo shown was the start of treatment. His feet look much better but I am still concerned.

View attachment 3778586
I have not heard of this type of Marek's yet. Wherever you got them from needs to be turned into your state's agriculture department for knowingly spreading it. I'm so sorry if that is indeed what that is! :hugs

More info:
https://extension.msstate.edu/publications/marek’s-disease-backyard-chickens

View attachment 3778586
IMG_20240322_103613351~2.jpg
IMG_20240322_103751759~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_103720627~2.jpg
    IMG_20240322_103720627~2.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240322_103626377~2.jpg
    IMG_20240322_103626377~2.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 0
These pics are from this morning. His feet look better but Not sure how to proceed. I want what is best for him and the others

Back
Top Bottom