Seeking Info on new "Asia Black" Chicken "Breed"

I had found an article about birds bread in China...dual purpose, mostly for good egg production...majority we're black with an occasional red...exactly like the pick TSC supply hatchery shows for asian blacks...I poo pood the breed until I found this out-of-country article...I can't find it again though...
I had 5, no personality issues, very hardy in cold climate, good layers with light colored eggs, seemed like good converters...they are a part of my current barn yard mix...any chicks that are black or mostly black and have the wing tips with white feathers are desendants of those asian black. So...my mix is hamp x moran x black asian x black sex link x Austrolorp x black Americana...this mix lays well, converts well, forages well, smart AND docile, with roos weighing in at 9 lbs, hens at 7 to 8 lbs, laying at 20 weeks.

I had found an article about birds bread in China...dual purpose, mostly for good egg production...majority we're black with an occasional red...exactly like the pick TSC supply hatchery shows for asian blacks...I poo pood the breed until I found this out-of-country article...I can't find it again though...
I had 5, no personality issues, very hardy in cold climate, good layers with light colored eggs, seemed like good converters...they are a part of my current barn yard mix...any chicks that are black or mostly black and have the wing tips with white feathers are desendants of those asian black. So...my mix is hamp x moran x black asian x black sex link x Austrolorp x black Americana...this mix lays well, converts well, forages well, smart AND docile, with roos weighing in at 9 lbs, hens at 7 to 8 lbs, laying at 20 weeks.
IMG_20220529_104615474.jpg
my Americana Roo

By the way, I put the word breed in quotes because the Asia Black isn't a breed certified by the APA. However, I infer that it breeds true and isn't a first generation hybrid like the common sex link varieties.
bread in China...dual purpose, mostly for good egg production...majority we're black with an occasional red bord..exactly like the pic the TSC supply hatchery shows for asian blacks...I poo pood the breed until I found this out-of-country article...I can't find it again though...
I had 5 black asian pullets, no personality issues as others have reported) very hardy in cold climate, good layers with light colored eggs, seemed like good converters...they are a part of my current barn yard mix...any chicks that are black or mostly black and have the wing tips with white feathers are desendants of those asian black.

The langshun may be a part of this mix as well...it is a Chinese breed.

This is a picture of my roo Vash. He was claimed to be one of these Asian Blacks. Anyone know if he looks like he is supposed to? Does he look like something else? I don't trust TS anymore because half of the chicks I got from them were not what they claimed them to be. And since this was my first chicken venture, I didn't know better :/

- just a couple days old

- About 2 months

- today at 7.5 months

Heh for what its worth the hen below him was claimed to be an asian black as well :/
I know it’s an old thread but. Don’t blame tsc, it’s the hatchery to blame eh hem! Hoovers 🤣 it’s true and I agree, I got two Rhode Island reds from them. I’ve got rir in the past before from a different place and they were the true rir. Hoovers rir I believe is to be production red, I say that because the ones I have has white skin and are very small, their legs aren’t as yellow. Feather colors are a different red tone. Got a Brahma also and a buff Orpington. I’ll say hatchery chickens juts give you an idea of how a breed looks like but believe me, hatchery stock chickens are not true and can never win ribbons at a show if you want to show 😂. They lack the true characteristics of pure bred.

Sadly Hoover Hatchery quit producing asian blacks about two years ago. I say sadly because of the six breeds I am currently working with, the asian blacks are my second favorite and my rooster was taken out by an unknown predator just when we were starting to incubate eggs. Mine consistently lay enormous dark brown eggs and the hens are the most personable chickens I've ever owned. I've been looking for a real Asian Black rooster for over a year to no avail.

Sadly Hoover Hatchery quit producing asian blacks about two years ago. I say sadly because of the six breeds I am currently working with, the asian blacks are my second favorite and my rooster was taken out by an unknown predator just when we were starting to incubate eggs. Mine consistently lay enormous dark brown eggs and the hens are the most personable chickens I've ever owned. I've been looking for a real Asian Black rooster for over a year to no avail.
Wow, they were avaliable last year to order. That's a shame. They were one I wanted to restart when I moved

Wow, they were avaliable last year to order. That's a shame. They were one I wanted to restart when I moved
It really is sad, best eggs we've ever had. They still have asian blacks listed in a couple of mix group packages but I called Hoover last year and was told that they had stopped producing that line indefinitely. If I can find anyone with an actual asian black rooster I'll beg and plead to acquire him because we are down to four hens. All of ours have the most relaxed disposition and those eggs are huge! Incidently the eggs we hatched produced exact replicas of the parents without exception.

Back
Top Bottom