Seems like it took FOREVER!!

pinkmartin73

Chirping
Jan 29, 2015
Pickaway County, Ohio
I got my first egg yesterday! I felt really bad. All our girls and our boy were 19 weeks wednesday. I haven't gotten time to build them nesting boxes. I was under the impression that if they are gonna lay they will lay even without a nest box. But wed. I went ahead and made a temporary box and added 2 fake eggs. Imagine my surprise when i found a perfectly shaped, but small egg, the next morning:)

We have 3 buff orpingtons, 3 rhode island reds, 2 easter eggers, and a male and female pair of partridge wyandotte bantams.

The color of the egg doesn't show up in pics but it has a blue/green tint. So although they all have bright red combs and wattles, and several are squatting when approached, I believe the egg is from an EE.

The lil cockerel found his crow a couple weeks ago. It cracks me up to hear such a big sound out of the lil guy! He is trying his best to mate every one of the girls. Also fun to watch as the big girls shake him off and seem annoyed!

I will try to post a pic of the egg next to a store bought large white egg.. No eggs today.

Yesterday was my first egg too! I had one yesterday and two today. I wasn't expecting any for at least another 3-4 weeks. My hens vary in age some. Next time I'm buying them from a hatchery instead of a store so I know how old they are instead of me just guessing or the store associate guessing. I don't have any nesting boxes either so I made a temp until we can get them finished up in the next couple of days. I think it was one of my RIR. I think they're the oldest but it's my Barred Rock that I have seen sitting the last couple of days. My husband who gave me so much grief about getting layers, found the egg. He won't admit it but he was excited too.

Last edited:
I got my first egg 5 days ago. I had not built any nest boxes either because I did not think they were ready. I went out to feed them and one of the pullets had laid a small brown egg on the ground in the run. I got the nest boxes built and ready for them now. The next egg was a large tan egg. The 3rd was a small brown one. I was pretty excited too.

I got my first egg 5 days ago.  I had not built any nest boxes either because I did not think they were ready.  I went out to feed them and one of the pullets had laid a small brown egg on the ground in the run.  I got the nest boxes built and ready for them now.  The next egg was a large tan egg.  The 3rd was a small brown one.  I was pretty excited too.

Jmay - how many layers do you have? I have 7 at 20weeks, 5 at 14 weeks, and 2 at 12 weeks plus 1 bantam roo.

Yesterday was my first egg too!  I had one yesterday and two today. I wasn't expecting any for at least another 3-4 weeks.  My hens vary in age some.  Next time I'm buying them from a hatchery instead of a store so I know how old they are instead of me just guessing or the store associate guessing.  I don't have any nesting boxes either so I made a temp until we can get them finished up in the next couple of days.  I think it was one of my RIR.  I think they're the oldest but it's my Barred Rock that I have seen sitting the last couple of days.  My husband who gave me so much grief about getting layers, found the egg.  He won't admit it but he was excited too.  

My hubby was happy to finally be getting eggs. He quickly did the math on that first one tho and said it cost us about $1500. Lol getting started and feeding them isnt as cheap as we had hoped.

I got my first egg 5 days ago.  I had not built any nest boxes either because I did not think they were ready.  I went out to feed them and one of the pullets had laid a small brown egg on the ground in the run.  I got the nest boxes built and ready for them now.  The next egg was a large tan egg.  The 3rd was a small brown one.  I was pretty excited too.

Its exciting! I got another small bluish greenish egg today and actually caught an EE in the act. I politely asked her to show everyone else how to lay.

Back
Top Bottom