Seems like it took FOREVER!!

pinkmartin73

Chirping
Jan 29, 2015
Pickaway County, Ohio
I got my first egg yesterday! I felt really bad. All our girls and our boy were 19 weeks wednesday. I haven't gotten time to build them nesting boxes. I was under the impression that if they are gonna lay they will lay even without a nest box. But wed. I went ahead and made a temporary box and added 2 fake eggs. Imagine my surprise when i found a perfectly shaped, but small egg, the next morning:)

We have 3 buff orpingtons, 3 rhode island reds, 2 easter eggers, and a male and female pair of partridge wyandotte bantams.

The color of the egg doesn't show up in pics but it has a blue/green tint. So although they all have bright red combs and wattles, and several are squatting when approached, I believe the egg is from an EE.

The lil cockerel found his crow a couple weeks ago. It cracks me up to hear such a big sound out of the lil guy! He is trying his best to mate every one of the girls. Also fun to watch as the big girls shake him off and seem annoyed!

I will try to post a pic of the egg next to a store bought large white egg.. No eggs today.

k5crew - I have 5 red sex links and 1 black austrolorp pullets. I also have 2 black austrolorp roosters and 1 little bantam rooster. All are around 19 or 20 weeks. I am not sure exactly though. The other 5 are 14 or 15 week old silkies. I'm not sure how many of those are male / female. It's hard to tell on them.

My kids are eating them so fast! I love the idea of deviled eggs!!
Looks like we have 5 girls laying now. 7 of my 14 ladies are the right age so I am anxious for the rest!!! We have a 15wk old who has stared squatting and visiting the nest boxes. So odd and fantastic!!!!

Ha ha i really need to find a job. I check nest boxes all day long! Our girls are all the same age. Only the bantam doesn't look ready. All the rest should be laying any time. My son wants to save the eggs forever lol. Maybe we will blow the first one out as a keepsake.

I feed all flock instead of layer since I have a cockerel who eats with the girls. He doesn't need the extra calcium. Even if I did use layer feed, I think I would offer the oyster shell anyway. May as well cover all bases. We have a dirt floor coop and run. I've been told I don't need to offer grit. Supposedly they get that from the dirt. Oddly, I have to keep refilling the grit feeder. Lol They go thru a fair amount for not needing it. Whatever makes them happy. I mean I don't "need" donuts... Wait. Yes, I do!

Back
Top Bottom