Seems like it took FOREVER!!

I really wouldn't know.. :(  this is my first time owning chickens, but I think the people at the feed store may be right. If you have shells in your dirt and grass and the hens have access to it, you may not, but i am not sure. Hopefully someone with more experience will have an answer.
thanks for commenting...it does make sense but I am worried, they are on laying pellets but the tag is messed up so I can not tell how much calcium is in the new laying pellets I just switched them to. I guess I will have to wait and see if someone who knows, if anyone, can answer this for me. Anyway thanks.

thanks for commenting...it does make sense but I am worried, they are on laying pellets but the tag is messed up so I can not tell how much calcium is in the new laying pellets I just switched them to. I guess I will have to wait and see if someone who knows, if anyone, can answer this for me. Anyway thanks.

I'm usually inclined to let them make the decision. I would rather provide it and them not need it than them need it and not find it available. On the other hand if its not needed where you live, do feed stores even carry it? Idk the answer. I think if it is available, I would provide it. Its cheap. I've wasted $4 on far more ridiculous things. Another option would be to offer crushed egg shells. That's something thats free. Offer it free choice, and watch them. If they eat it, they must need the calcium? Just my opinion. Maybe others can offer experience rather than my rambling.

I'm usually inclined to let them make the decision. I would rather provide it and them not need it than them need it and not find it available. On the other hand if its not needed where you live, do feed stores even carry it? Idk the answer. I think if it is available, I would provide it. Its cheap. I've wasted $4 on far more ridiculous things. Another option would be to offer crushed egg shells. That's something thats free. Offer it free choice, and watch them. If they eat it, they must need the calcium? Just my opinion. Maybe others can offer experience rather than my rambling.
yes the TS store does sell it but they are inland and I am less then a mile from the beach which is why she said that but I do think I will get some anyway, you are right in saying the cost is si minimal that it doesnt make sense not to. Thank you

I put some out in a little container. I read on here they will only eat it if they need it. Since I only have one hen laying, I didn't want to buy layer ration. I can't tell if any has been eaten but it's there if she needs it.

I put some out in a little container.  I read on here they will only eat it if they need it.  Since I only have one hen laying, I didn't want to buy layer ration.  I can't tell if any has been eaten but it's there if she needs it.  
the layer pellets have diff quantities of the common ingredients and some other ones. I am not sure what the diff is but if you have chicks with in a month of each other or about that you can give them all layer pellets. I just finished off the start n grow and then started on the layer pellets but mine are between 14 and 16 weeks and some are showing signs of laying. I just have questions about iysrer shells.

I feed all flock instead of layer since I have a cockerel who eats with the girls. He doesn't need the extra calcium. Even if I did use layer feed, I think I would offer the oyster shell anyway. May as well cover all bases. We have a dirt floor coop and run. I've been told I don't need to offer grit. Supposedly they get that from the dirt. Oddly, I have to keep refilling the grit feeder. Lol They go thru a fair amount for not needing it. Whatever makes them happy. I mean I don't "need" donuts... Wait. Yes, I do!

I also agree, and have read if they need it, they will eat it, if they don't, they won't. I've had a small bowl of oyster shells out for a few weeks because I thought my silkies were older. They do nibble at it, but the younger girls have just started pecking at it. So I understand the logic. I dont think it would hurt to try it?? You can remove it if your egg shells end up really thick?

I got my firt egg!!!!!!! About half the size and light Brown. Today got another slightly bigger but slightly a different shade. Was it the same hen? The first egg was a hen named Rocky but we do not know about todays.

Very very true....and I need donuts as well and I share them with my girls as well, as a little treat. Thanks everyone! You are all right it is something I would kick myself if they needed it and I did not provide. I found out my chickens are eating pine cones...does anyone know if that is ok for them? I have been tossing them out but I must have missed 2 and both are bare. I am worried they may choke

Back
Top Bottom